WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCore Utopic 32bit on UEFI x64  (Read 3771 times)

Offline zinciect74

dCore Utopic 32bit on UEFI x64
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
Hi all,
I'm writing because I have the following problem, maybe you know the solution...?
I am a proud, so many years, user of a dCore Utopic 32bit installation on USB.
I have installed all my goodies in there, tuned and compiled at the perfection, from years, it is working perfectly.
Now, my old laptop on which I run my dCore Utopic USB, just died.
So I bought a new laptop.
Unfortunately the BIOS of that new laptop doesn't support legacy mode, but only boots UEFI 64bit.
After several sleepless nights, I managed to format my key as GPT, installed SYSLINUX UEFI x64, and copied the whole USB in there.
The USB so setup, seems booting, syslinux prompt, it loads the kernel, ok, then the initrd gz, ok, and stop, nothing else, just stops at "... ok" - it hungs there forever.
I tried to add "nouefi" (kernel?) option in the APPEND, but it seems ignored...
So,  my question is: I would like to boot my old 32bit dCore Utopic on that new UEFI 64 laptop - how can I do that?
Thanks

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: dCore Utopic 32bit on UEFI x64
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
Hi zinciect74, I have only seen your post now, thank you for your dCore interest.  What you are talking about is perhaps UEFI installing to a hard drive, now it is only available in dCore-usbinstall to usb.   It is a set of Grub and other commands, but UEFI installing to hard drive is certainly a good goal for dCore, as that is what can make dCore usable for many folks just like UEFI installing to USB can.   

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 07:36:23 AM »
Hi, I misread your post,   Have you ran dCore-usbinstall and chose the UEFI option?

Offline zinciect74

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi Mr.Jason,
really, I didnt even notice you finally answered... I just stumbled here by chance, really...
Amof, I never found a solution, so now I simply boot my usb on VM (virtual machine)... extreme, isn't it?
Yes, I still use my dCore Utopic 32bit after 4 years, still keep modding it, and I didnt switch to another distro, and I am so loyal to it that I went into the trouble of living with the damn VM on top...
The VM solution is real pain and tragedy, but it works most of times...
Anyway, that was just for the chronicle...
I see you wrote smtng about "dCore-usbinstall"... is that a script? maybe I can dig the commands inside to find a clue...?
Yes, it would be really nice, if I could get rid of the VM, and boot my ancient dCore Utopic 32bit core directly, on this damn UEFI 64 laptop.
After several tests, I realized that, maybe, the Utopic 32bit core I use in the usb, maybe it crash because once it starts executions then somewhere doesnt know how to deal with a UEFI BIOS...(?)
Question: does it exists a Utopic 32bit core which knows how to deal with a UEFI BIOS?
Thanks