WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] Debian repo not available  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Santos

[Solved] Debian repo not available
« on: December 03, 2023, 11:31:18 AM »
Hello

I am working with dCore Stretch (x86 and x64, got latest iso for both) and whenever I try to import an extension, like:

Code: [Select]
sce-import emacs
I get an error saying that the Debian repo does not exist. I tried to check if I could update the repo address (maybe is now archived) but could not do it -didn't find any file to edit-.

Is that the right approach or what should I do to get  sce-import  to work?

Edit: btw, I do have access to the internet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 10:32:19 AM by Rich »

Offline yoshi314

Re: Debian repo not available
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 12:43:28 AM »
I think the url moved to debian archive, or old-releases. Basically it is different.

Then again, i hope we'll get some new dCore images someday.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:05:09 AM »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline Santos

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 04:29:26 PM »
Thank you, guys.

How do I update the url so it can point to the right place?

I'm clueless on what file to edit.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 05:39:44 PM »
See this link at Stack Exchange for instructions on a "normal" Stretch install being updated (modifying the repo configs)
which contain the URLs you'll need for dCore, however, I'm sorry to say I've never installed dCore for myself so I don't
have the other piece to the puzzle on where sce-import gathers its information.  I'd GUESS in /etc/sysconfig or /opt,
but I cannot say for certain.  Hope this helps at least a little.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline Santos

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 10:43:10 AM »
Hello,

I was able to add an extra  repo  based on the information on the dCore wiki:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=dcore:handling_extensions

In the 'Additional Repositories' section.

Everything seems to work. After adding the unique URL to a text file in /opt/debextra/ directory and running  sce-import  there is a  debinx  file generated, which I assume is a confirmation about the  sce-import  command taking the repo in.

However, I got the same error about the repo not available for the FTP Debian URL. This makes  sce-import  to error out and refuse to install anything.

tc@box:~$ cd /opt/debextra/
tc@box:/opt/debextra$ ls
tc@box:/opt/debextra$ vi archive
tc@box:/opt/debextra$ sce-import screen
* Using nice level 19.
* Using the -u option.

* DEBINX sync based on debian stretch.
* Debian index sync: debian_stretch_main_amd64_Packages
* Debian security index sync: debian_stretch_security_amd64_Packages
* Connecting to: http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86_64/
  debian_stretch_security_amd64_Packages
* Using repo: http://archive.debian.org/debian stretch main

Warning: The following repository is not available:

debian stretch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

Warning: Error updating DEBINX files, exiting..
tc@box:/opt/debextra$

Offline Santos

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 10:23:38 AM »
SOLVED! :D

It took me time to resolve it, it was exactly what I thought it was... just changing an URL in a file.

/usr/bin/debGetEnv

Edit the file and change every instance of:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

To

http://archive.debian.org/debian

Not even the wiki mentioned this -or I missed it-. So I had to use brute force and  grep-search  every file and print its location once the pattern was found even used a LLM to help me with the command line.

Thank you for your assistance, CentralWare.

Hope more people can find this useful.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: [Solved] Debian repo not available
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 12:24:45 AM »
@Santos: Sorry for the late reply, I've been under the weather for a bit and a break from CyberSpace was long overdue.

No, history (wiki) doesn't always record the when and where.  In fact, I had to do something very similar not but a month or two ago with a development device which had an experimental version of Debian Buster Arm installed on it and that, too, was a dramatic hunt to find which file(s) were needing the same archive.debian.org link implemented.

The "change" from FTP to ARCHIVE is actually an easy "sed" instruction once you know which files to change, but think of it this way...  you're now THAT much more familiar with your system than you were a couple weeks ago! :)  On a plus note, now that you're using archive, it's very unlikely to ever go anywhere else down the road!

Offline Santos

Re: [Solved] Debian repo not available
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 09:08:07 PM »
Hi @CentralWare,

I know having a break from all internet and tech stuff is necessary to keep the interest alive. Trying to do that as well.

Debian based systems luckily are standard enough that there is always tutorials or references, albeit not verbatim but it can point us in the right direction if we search carefully. Good you sorted it out.

I kept thinking about this issue so much that brute force is the only thing I decided to do, an elegant  sed  solution will make it fast an efficient but I am always learning and un-learning. So a simple "brute"  vi  edit was well within my reach instead of just visiting a refresher tutorial for sed.

But for sure, is something I still have pending sed, awk and sh programming in general.

Anyways, as you said. I'm now more familiar with the system I use and I love this. Yes, 'archive' may not be an issue anymore but with the Debian PPA system... I do not know, maybe keys or certificates issues may arise in the future. It had happened before, but that is where the fun is!