WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox_ getLatest problem  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Laskody

firefox_ getLatest problem
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:43:02 AM »
Hello! I have a problem. When I run firefox "get latest", the system crashes at Unpacking Archives  \ . (Firefox 74.0.1.tar.bz2 )

Does anyone know what I can do? Sorry for my English I can only write in German and Hungarian but with a translator I can write. Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:45:27 AM by Laskody »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: firefox_ getLatest problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:21:21 AM »
Which version of tinycore and which architecture are you using?

How much ram do you have?

Offline Laskody

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:55:13 AM »
Hi!

Tiny Core Linux 11.1

Kernel 5.4.3

System: Hdd: Maxtor 40Gb, Cpu: intel Celeron 2.0Ghz

Ram: 256 MB,  Vga: Geeforce 128mb

Thanks!

Offline xor

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 03:58:48 AM »
In order to use the updated firefox fully efficiently, you must have at least 1 GB of RAM.

Hi!

Tiny Core Linux 11.1

Kernel 5.4.3

System: Hdd: Maxtor 40Gb, Cpu: intel Celeron 2.0Ghz

Ram: 256 MB,  Vga: Geeforce 128mb

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:00:20 AM by xor »

Offline Laskody

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:15:29 AM »
Thank you! So the problem is that the computer has too little ram and when unpacking packages the memory runs out and the system crashes.

A swap partition could help? or is it stupid?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 05:15:57 AM »
Yes, a swap partition would help

Offline Laskody

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:10:06 AM »
Thank you Juanito and Xor!  :)

Offline marcelocripe

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
Hello Laskody, Juanito and xor.

In the standard installation demonstrated at the link: http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html, is the swap partition created?

If the answer is yes, what is the size of the swap partition?

If the answer is no, how can we create the partition after installing Tiny Core?

Is it possible to increase the size of the swap partition in order to better meet the memory limitations and still improve the performance of the extensions?

Could you provide us with a tutorial for creating or enlarging the swap partition in graphical or text mode?

In one of the Tiny Core Plus 11.0 installation tests I did, I partitioned the HD on the terminal using the command: tc @ box: ~ $ fdisk -l

I tried to create two partitions, one large partition for Tiny Core Plus and another 5GB for swap partition, but the message was that it is possible to create a maximum of 4096 Megabytes. Is it possible with another partition manager to create a swap partition larger than 4096MB and that works on Tiny Core Plus?

Thankful.
marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translation into English by Google Translate.

---------------------------------------------

Olá Laskody, Juanito e xor.

Na instalação padrão demonstrada no link: http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html, partição swap é criada?

Se a reposta for sim, qual é o tamanho partição swap?

Se a reposta for não, como podemos criar a partição após a instalação do Tiny Core?

É possível aumentar para o tamanho da partição swap afim melhor atender as limitações de memória e ainda melhorando o desempenho das extensões?

Poderiam nos fornecer um tutorial para criar ou aumentar a partição swap em modo gráfico ou em modo texto?

Em um dos testes de instalação do Tiny Core Plus 11.0 que eu fiz, eu particionei o HD no terminal usando o comando: tc@box:~$  fdisk -l

Tentei criar duas partições, uma partição grande para o Tiny Core Plus e outra de 5GB para partição swap, mas a mensagem foi que é possível criar no máximo 4096 Megabytes. Com outro gerenciador de partições é possível criar a partição swap maior que  4096MB e que funcione no Tiny Core Plus?

Grato.
marcelocripe

Texto original em português do Brasil, tradução para inglês por Google Tradutor.

Offline xor

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 12:50:02 AM »
If you really want to use firefox, you must have at least 1 GB RAM.

Even if you make the SWAP space 10 GB. you cannot use the system efficiently.

Even in a normal linux distribution, the kernel consumes an average of 200 MB of space. TCL kernel consumes even less resources :)

I suggest you to buy a suitable ram in your second hand flea market.

primarily for RAMs compatible with your motherboard; Investigate the brand model codes of RAMs compatible with your motherboard.

2nd hand ; You can find 1 or 2 GB at a very affordable price.

Apart from that, you cannot use it efficiently.

or search for alternatives without a low capacity html5 feature.

Hello Laskody, Juanito and xor.

In the standard installation demonstrated at the link: http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html, is the swap partition created?

If the answer is yes, what is the size of the swap partition?

If the answer is no, how can we create the partition after installing Tiny Core?

Is it possible to increase the size of the swap partition in order to better meet the memory limitations and still improve the performance of the extensions?

Could you provide us with a tutorial for creating or enlarging the swap partition in graphical or text mode?

In one of the Tiny Core Plus 11.0 installation tests I did, I partitioned the HD on the terminal using the command: tc @ box: ~ $ fdisk -l

I tried to create two partitions, one large partition for Tiny Core Plus and another 5GB for swap partition, but the message was that it is possible to create a maximum of 4096 Megabytes. Is it possible with another partition manager to create a swap partition larger than 4096MB and that works on Tiny Core Plus?

Thankful.
marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translation into English by Google Translate.

---------------------------------------------

Olá Laskody, Juanito e xor.

Na instalação padrão demonstrada no link: http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html, partição swap é criada?

Se a reposta for sim, qual é o tamanho partição swap?

Se a reposta for não, como podemos criar a partição após a instalação do Tiny Core?

É possível aumentar para o tamanho da partição swap afim melhor atender as limitações de memória e ainda melhorando o desempenho das extensões?

Poderiam nos fornecer um tutorial para criar ou aumentar a partição swap em modo gráfico ou em modo texto?

Em um dos testes de instalação do Tiny Core Plus 11.0 que eu fiz, eu particionei o HD no terminal usando o comando: tc@box:~$  fdisk -l

Tentei criar duas partições, uma partição grande para o Tiny Core Plus e outra de 5GB para partição swap, mas a mensagem foi que é possível criar no máximo 4096 Megabytes. Com outro gerenciador de partições é possível criar a partição swap maior que  4096MB e que funcione no Tiny Core Plus?

Grato.
marcelocripe

Texto original em português do Brasil, tradução para inglês por Google Tradutor.

Offline xor

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:30 AM »
Thank you! So the problem is that the computer has too little ram and when unpacking packages the memory runs out and the system crashes.

A swap partition could help? or is it stupid?
In TCL; swap space creates inside RAM space!

this is another matter of discussion.

some applications may require SWAP space structurally

It makes more sense to have SWAP off!

for this business ; There is a "nozswap" command

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3aforum.tinycorelinux.net+nozswap

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 04:15:04 AM »
No

If you google "linux create swap partition", I'm sure you will get many results.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
Hi marcelocripe
... Is it possible to increase the size of the swap partition in order to better meet the memory limitations and still improve the performance of the extensions? ...
First, a definition of what swap space is:
A swap file (or partition) is a place to temporarily store data to make room for other data in RAM.

Now, some particulars:

1. A program executes in RAM, not in swap.
2. If a program requires 280M of RAM to run, and you only have 256M of RAM, no amount of swap will allow it run.
3. Not everything that's in RAM can be swapped out.
4. Moving data back and forth between RAM and swap space takes time and will slow things down. The more
   you need to swap, the slower it gets.

If you search I'm sure you will find plenty of opinions on how much swap you should have. Here's my take:

My current machines have 500M, 2G, 3G, and 4G of RAM.

Each machine has a 1G swap partition which is much more than you want to be swapping. So why so large?

There's something called the  OOM-killer (Out Of Memory). If the system needs memory and can't free any up, the  OOM-killer
forces the issue by picking a running program and killing it.

The large swap partition gives the system plenty of space to shuffle data around without the  OOM-killer  unexpectedly killing
a program on me. As the swap partition starts to really fill up, the system starts slowing down which serves as a warning that
I need to do something.

Do what? Usually closing and restarting a web browser. Web browsers are notoriously selfish when it comes to RAM. No matter
how much RAM you have, they always seem to demand more.

But wait, there's more:

Tinycore boots up with a  compressed swap in RAM (zswap)  system. It swaps much faster then a hard drive. However, it also
reduces the amount of free RAM you have available. By default, 25% of your RAM is allocated as  zswap.  So if you are tight on
RAM, you might want to consider adding the  nozswap  boot code to your bootloaders config file to disable it.

I always use the  gparted  extension for managing disks. For me it's much less error prone than using the command line.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:18:15 AM by Rich »