WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: uninstall additions?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline beta-tester

uninstall additions?
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:04:42 AM »
hello, i am new here...
i installed TC on an USB memory stick and installed some apps by using the tce application.
some TCZ packages installed also some dependency packages.

how can i uninstall a TCZ package with all its dependencies, when i don't want a specific package anymore?
i cant find any option to uninstall a package at all.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: uninstall additions?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
Hi beta-tester
Click on the  Apps  icon. Once the GUI comes up:

1. Click  Apps->Maintenance->Dependencies And Deletions.
2. Click the extension you want removed in the  Select  list.
3. Click  Dependencies->Mark for Deletion

Repeat steps 2 and 3 for any other extensions you want to remove.

4. Check the list in the right panel. If it contains something you want to keep, then select it and click the  Delete Item from list  button.
5. Click  Dependencies->Exit Dependency Check
6. Restart your computer.

When your computer comes back up, you have finished uninstalling the extensions.

[EDIT]: Inserted new step 4 to address issues mentioned in posts 3 and 4.  Rich
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:51:55 AM by Rich »

Offline beta-tester

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:17:38 PM »
thank you Rich for your help...
i will try it tomorrow.

Offline beta-tester

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »
hello Rich,

i was able to uninstall packages and its dependencied by marking them for deletion.

but it seems that the dependency function is not always able to figure out if a single package was installed by dependency or manually by the user directly.
e.g. i installed the package dosfstools.tcz, to have FAT16/FAT32 filesystem support in gparted.
some times later i decided to install tc-install.tcz to greate a seconf TinyCore USB-stick.
(dosfstools would be installed by a dependency for tc-install, but in this case it was already installd by me).
after i created the second TC stick, some times later, i decided to mark the tc-install package for deletion. this marked the dosfstools.tcz for deletion as well. but this dosfstools package was installed by me earlier and it was not intended by me to get rid of it.
so i guess there is no mechanism to detect if a "leaf" in the dependency graph was installed by the user or if it was installed by a dependency, when the "leaf" is no other package is depending on that "leaf"...

is that right (kind of)?
so everytime i mark a package for deletion, i have to watch the list of packages to decide, if there is maybe another package included i want to keep?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 11:49:12 AM »
Hi beta-tester
Suppose extension  xyzzy  is installed and then  xyzzy-GUI  is installed. If you mark  xyzzy-GUI  for deletion and nothing else
currently depends on  xyzzy, then it too will be marked for deletion. So I should have included between steps 3 and 4:

3a. Click any extension in the right panel that you wish to keep, then click the  Delete Item from list  button.