WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore 11.0 Scrambled Display on Mac Mini Late 2012 Model  (Read 2839 times)

Offline JustinCB

TinyCore 11.0 Scrambled Display on Mac Mini Late 2012 Model
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »
When I start TinyCore on this mac, the screen is completely scrambled once startx is executed. If I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete(I have a wireless USB keyboard with a mostly standard PC layout, except with FN[Function] in the place of the right windows key and special keys for Fast Forward, Play/Pause Rewind, Mute, Volume Down, & Volume Up), it returns to the command prompt. Note that TinyCore 7.2-9.0(& maybe 10.0, I don't remember) worked on this model w/o issue. It also has a wireless firmware error, but I think that's unrelated & only b/c I don't have the non-redistributable firmware installed.

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore 11.0 Scrambled Display on Mac Mini Late 2012 Model
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
Hi JustinCB
... If I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete ...... it returns to the command prompt. ...
You might want to:
Code: [Select]
dmesg > dmesg.txtThen take a look through  dmesg.txt  to see if there are any errors or warnings.

Assuming you are running  Xorg , take a look through  /var/log/Xorg.0.log  for errors or warnings.

... Note that TinyCore 7.2-9.0(& maybe 10.0, I don't remember) worked on this model w/o issue. ...
If you still have a working setup available, boot up into it. Then make copies of the following files:
1. /opt/bootlocal.sh ----- In case it contains any special startup commands.
2. /opt/bootsync.sh ----- In case it contains any special startup commands.
3. /opt/.filetool.lst ----- In case you backed up any files required to make the Mac functional.
4. /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/mydata.tgz ----- So you can recover those backed up files if you need them.
5. /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst ----- So you know which extensions were loaded.
6. ls -1 /usr/local/tce.installed > installed.txt ----- So you know which extensions were loaded (including dependencies).
7. Anything in your  ~/.X.d/  directory ----- In case you have any commands started after X comes up.

Offline JustinCB

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
I'll try the dmesg. I don't have the old installation of TinyCore anymore, & Xorg has never worked for me, only the default Xvesa.

Offline JustinCB

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
I've attatched the output of that command, if it'll help any.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »
Hi JustinCB
See if adding this boot code makes any difference:
Code: [Select]
intel_iommu=off

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
Hey Rich - thanks.  I tried 11.1 core on my Intel NUC which seemed to exhibit the same problem as the Mac Mini that Justin was using.

At least I got to see two rows of characters before it was all distorted.

Adding intel_iommu=off to my grub.cfg cured it, so tnx for that tip.

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth