WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VirtualBox mouse problem  (Read 5554 times)

Offline nurbles

VirtualBox mouse problem
« on: March 06, 2020, 04:55:31 AM »
I'm trying to get a virtualbox [Version 6.1.4r136177 (Qt5.6.2)] install of CorePlus 11.x (downloaded Mar 5, 2020) working as a development platform to (re)build some of our linux programs so they will work with Core.  Everything appears to work great EXCEPT for the mouse on the graphic desktop...

There seems to be a somewhat random rectangle where the mouse works.  When the mouse reaches the (invisible) edge of this rectangle, the mouse pointer suddenly jumps outside the VirtualBox window entirely, back to Windows (freezing the VM's mouse pointer somewhere within the VM window.)  Strangely, the "mouse rectangle" seems to move around within the VirtualBox window during the session, too.  Unfortunately, this renders the graphical desktop unusable.

(I'm going to work around my problems by using DropBear to allow me to access the VM from Windows with PuTTY, but I would prefer to work directly within the VM.)

I found this article http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15659.msg91561.html#msg91561 that mentions what I think might be the same mouse issue from several years ago, but I cannot find any way to disable mouse integration in the current VirtualBox, so it no longer seems to apply.

[EDIT]  If it helps, the TinyCore boot shows Core 11.0  5.4.3-tinycore
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:01:08 AM by nurbles »

Offline neonix

Re: VirtualBox mouse problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:46:52 AM »
I tried to install VirtualBox in TC11 x86_64

Code: [Select]
tce-load -iw wget compiletcs.tcz linux-5.4_api_headers.tcz perl5.tcz
/sbin/wget https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.4/VirtualBox-6.1.4-136177-Linux_amd64.run
chmod +x VirtualBox-6.1.4-136177-Linux_amd64.run
sudo ./VirtualBox-6.1.4-136177-Linux_amd64.run

sudo rm /usr/bin/readlink
tce-load -iw coreutils.tcz
sudo rm /sbin/modprobe
sudo ln -s /usr/local/sbin/modprobe /sbin/modprobe
tce-load -iw module-init-tools.tcz
but cannot compile vbox module

Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
/sbin/vboxconfig: line 236: systemctl: not found
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc0.d/K80vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc1.d/K80vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc2.d/K80vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc3.d/S20vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc4.d/S20vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc5.d/S20vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc6.d/K80vboxdrv': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc0.d/K65vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc1.d/K65vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc2.d/K65vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc3.d/S35vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc4.d/S35vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc5.d/S35vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc6.d/K65vboxballoonctrl-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc0.d/K65vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc1.d/K65vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc2.d/K65vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc3.d/S35vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc4.d/S35vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc5.d/S35vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc6.d/K65vboxautostart-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc0.d/K65vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc1.d/K65vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc2.d/K65vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc3.d/S35vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc4.d/S35vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc5.d/S35vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/rc6.d/K65vboxweb-service': No such file or directory
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
tc@box:~$

Offline nurbles

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
Perhaps I wasn't clear...

I am running VirtualBox on a Win7 x64 machine with virtual CorePlus 11.0 installed.  The mouse only works within a rectangle that is significantly smaller than the X desktop before jumping out to the Windows desktop.  The mouse rectangle seems to move almost every time I click the mouse.

This is VERY annoying.

Offline neonix

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
I think it's a job for VirtualBox developers.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15665

You can try Xfbdev, Xvesa, or Xorg and see if it help.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 01:27:36 AM »
That is a known issue with Virtualbox defaulting to mouse integration. You have to find the Virtualbox setting to disable it, or otherwise install Xorg and the virtualbox drivers so that the TC side has the mouse integration it wants.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 01:34:20 AM »
but cannot compile vbox module

You need to load compiletc

Offline nurbles

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 04:58:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  FWIW, here's the result:
  • I was unable to find any way in the current VirtualBox to stop/disable the mouse integration
  • My preference is to keep the virtual development system as close as possible to the actual system, so I would prefer not to install additional X components.
  • So I tried something that (IMHO) should not have worked:  I transferred the VirtualBox folder for my CorePlus VM from my Win7 x64 system to my Win10 x64 system.  With the exact same VM files and the exact same version of VirtualBox (6.1.4r136177) the mouse works perfectly on the virtual CorePlus desktop.
So, I will do what little CorePlus compiling I need to do on my 'office' desktop instead of my 'development/support' desktop.  I have no idea why it works differently, but it does.

Thanks again for the tips.