WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore custom kernel getting retpoline warning on modules  (Read 1385 times)

Offline greatimte4

TinyCore custom kernel getting retpoline warning on modules
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
I am recompiling kernel 4.19.96 from www.kernel.org for a custom CorePure64-10.1.  I use CorePure64-10.1 to compile the image and modules.  I placed .config into the source directory of 4.19.96. Then "make menuconfig", followed by "make bzImage modules" and the image and modules compiled successfully with whatever package needed(compiletc,...).  I recreated an iso of CorePure64-10.1 with the new image and modules.  But when I boot from iso file I get an error as follows and modules are not loaded.

Spectre v2: System may be vulnerable to spectre v2
...:Loading module not compiled with retpoline compiler

I tried to compile on centos 7 and 8, on both the Image and modules compiled successfully but when I recreate an iso of CorePure64-10.1 with the new image and modules, I get same problem.  Any help would be very appreciated.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore custom kernel getting retpoline warning on modules
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 12:27:50 AM »
Do things change if, after copying the tinycore config to .config, you run "make oldconfig" prior to "make menuconfig"?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:43:08 AM »
That message is a warning, it does not prevent loading modules. Something else is the main problem.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline greatimte4

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:16:09 AM »
In fact, I need CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG to be on.  So I took the .config file from (ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/10.x/x86_64/release/src/kernel/), add it to src directory then I DO NOT execute 'menu oldconfig', just launch 'menu menuconfig'.  I change the memory section and "enable memory" hot plug ON then launch "make bzImage modules". 

I need the same kernel as CorePure64-10.1 with memory hotplug set.  Can I get any help on it?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:46 AM »
If you want to compile a custom kernel that will work with tinycore, you need to start from the tinycore config.

This means copying the tinycore config to the kernel source tree as .config and then either:

make oldconfig

or

make menuconfig and load the .config before you make any changes
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:24:31 AM by Juanito »