WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: flPicSee Picture View 0.9.2... now with multi-image paging!  (Read 7156 times)

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Hello.  After some interrupted development, I am happy to post a new version of the flPicSee image viewer for you to try.  As the topic title says, this version now supports multiple-image viewing, one-at-a-time.  You may specify multiple files on the command-line, and if there is more than one, "hotspots" are enabled on the left and right side of the main image window.  If you move the mouse toward one of these areas, a black rectangle with a large 3d-style black triangle appears, along with a modified tooltip that indicates which file is next.  You may click on the hotspot or use the right-click menu options to page to the next or previous image in the set.

Example 1: flpicsee  foo.jpg  bar.gif  *.png

(Will let you page through foo.jpg, bar.gif, and all the .png files in the current directory)

Here's another neat feature... if you specify a directory instead of a file on the command-line, flPicSee scans through the directory and adds all the files that look like (based on the file extensions) image files to the viewing set.

Example 2: flpicsee .
(Will let you page through all of the files that are known image types in the current working directory)

Example 2: flpicsee /home/tc
(Will let you page through all of the files that are known image types in the home directory)

You can even mix and match different directories and files in the command line.

If you start flPicSee with no arguments, the file chooser still opens, but in this full vesion, you may select multiple files (at least in one directory).

This new version was tested with ROX-Filer, and if you set up flPicSee as a "send to" target, you can right-click on a directory folder icon, or a previously-selected group of files, select "send to" and flpicsee will start up with multi-image viewing as if you entered those items on the command line.

This full version is about 18.8 KB.  Note: This version is only tested on version 2.0 (not 2.1 or 2.2rc!) of TinyCore.

KNOWN ISSUES:

1) The Alt+Key combos listed in the right-click menu don't work.  (I also notice that Alt+Key combos don't work in Geany editor either, so I don't think this is just a problem in flPicSee.  Do other people have problems with key combos in other apps?  Is there a fix?)

2) If your image files don't have the proper expected file extensions, flPicSee may refuse or fail to open them.

3) The file chooser dialog box in flPicSee will not let you select a directory.  You may click into the directory and select multiple files from that directory, though.

roberts: The make file allows you to build a stripped-down version (very similar to the earlier versions of flPicSee), but the basic executable is a bit bigger (12.8 KB) than before, so for now, you may not want to upgrade.  I might be able to streamline the system a bit more so the basic build is about the same size as previously.  I still don't have the "set as background" feature developed.

I'll post the .tce and associated package files here, and the source and build files later in this topic thread.

All: Let me know if you have any problems with this version.
--
Mike Lockmoore

[^thehatsrule^: removed attachments, see guidelines; also, there was really no need to make 3 posts ;)]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:48:28 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline MikeLockmoore

Re: flPicSee Picture View 0.9.2... now with multi-image paging!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
Here are the source code, make file, and package building script files (I hope it works OK with all 2.x releases).

If you run 'make all' it builds the full-featured version.  'make basic' builds a single-image, no-menu version.

I need to run the package build script with a 'sh ./package' command.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »
I'd like to grab a screen shot with the right-click menu up and maybe another with the image-paging hotspot button shown, but I don't know a good way to invoke the screen grabber.  If I move the mouse, the items I want to capture disappear.  ::)  All I think I need is a delayed automatic grab. If someone knows how to do that, I'd appreaciate hearing about it.
--
ML

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »
Thanks Mike. Looks good.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:15:44 AM »
roberts: I noticed during development that the executable sizes seemed to be quantified at certain values, at least as far as reported by 'ls -l' on the command-line.  I'd add a few lines of code, rebuild, check the size, at it would be still the same!  Or I could remove a few lines and see either no change or a fairly significant drop (1 K?) in size.  I guess I don't know enough to tell whether this is a file system effect (file takes N blocks, although the last block is only partially filled, but ls returns the size of all the allocated blocks for this file?) or a gcc effect (it reserves program and data space in chunks?) or the strip utility?  Maybe I could try a few different gcc -O optimization options and see if it matters.

Also, any idea why the alt + key combos are not generating events in Geany and in flPicSee?
--
ML

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
Could it be the window mananger that you are using is swallowing the alt-keys?

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
roberts: I'm just using the default in TC 2.0, JWM.  I tried FLWM in a release candidate version, but if I remember correctly, I have only used JWM since I installed the full 2.0 release.

By the way, I may try to work on a "set image as background" feature soon.  What would flPicSee need to do that? (Or what scripts/code should I look through to learn how?)  Would the method change from TC 2.0 to 2.1 and/or 2.2?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
Some alt-keys are swallowed by jwm see .jwmrc-keys.

As for the wallpaper feature, see the wallpaper fltk project,
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release/src/fltk_projects/wallpaper/
and look at the various window manager setbackground scripts, e.g., jwm_setbackground, flwm_setbackground, ...

It would be great to not to have to have the current wallpaper gui, and both xsetroot for solid colors and esetroot for images.

Another idea, is to grab the source for jwm and see how the background is set there, as neither xsetroot nor Esetroot is required.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
With window manager agnostic being a goal of TC, I am going to simplify and support only ~/.setbackground as called from .xsession.

That should also make it easy to call from wallpaper and/or your new offering.