WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCore-focal  (Read 2141 times)

Offline PDP-8

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 709
Re: dCore-focal
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Heh, whatever you deem best.

As an example:

"Jason, I can't get the luakit-browser to work.  I can sce-import and load it, but it's just dead."

Which is true, but I didn't want to mention it.   See where this is headed? :)

I just worry you might go off the deep end and collect stamps.  (apologies to stamp-collectors) :)
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline PDP-8

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 709
Re: dCore-focal
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
Getting waay OT, so I apologize but this being RC territory ..

I love TC.  I also really dig dCore obviously.  Not looking to change things.

However, as TC relies upon BB with the option of adding classic gnu file/text/shells, maybe dCore would be easier dev wise to rely primarily on classic gnu file/text/shells, and add BB funtionality as the user sees fit?

<thunderclap>

Hmm..  what about making TinyCore itself an SCE ?!?!

That way a user can drop into the TC environment, do dev work and so forth, yet the underlying dCore could be classic gnu environment to reduce the pita some 'isms may present?

Please feel free to disregard and no comment necessary.  Not being a developer myself, maybe this suggestion should go straight to /dev/null and not pass /go
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9707
Re: dCore-focal
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 07:01:17 PM »
dCore is built on Busybox, with the option of importing GNU and other stuff, just like Core.  It is not based on GNU utilities, nor depends on them.  Though some added extensions may need them.  The gparted issue we just saw, was the same issue seen in Core earlier, the /usr/sbin/gparted script. It is a gparted thing, not a dCore thing.  Link is below.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20277.msg126196.html#msg126196

One can either adjust the /usr/sbin/gparted script, or add the procps package.  And gparted and it's deps are pretty large itself.  For now at least, I added the procps package.  The gparted script has it's last copyright in 2015, so it probably does not change much and would work across all versions of gparted.  In that case, I could add an adjusted gparted script in a gparted-data.tar.gz extra files package instead of the procps dependency.  The deb2sce startup scripts and the -data.tar.gz extra files are used across all versions of dCore, all architectures, so I only replace files in a package when it makes sense and will work across all versions of a package. 

Don't worry about me.  :-)  If you look at past issues in imported packages or base dCore and my solutions for them, you will see I aim to solve the problem while doing only what I have to in terms of adding size or dependencies.  I don't 'throw in the kitchen sink' to solve something.  Except for dCorePlus images, which has every possible firmware, everything one needs to get an internet connection to get online and then start setting up a TCE directory.  Hundreds of megabytes in size, yes, it is the kitchen sink and for a reason.   Give one all they might need to get up and going, then they can download the ~20 MB dCore*gz file in its place to use from then on once the TCE directory is set up.