WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Knoppix 8.6.1 released  (Read 2342 times)

Offline PDP-8

Knoppix 8.6.1 released
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:03:44 AM »
It's here and I like it.  At 4.3gb, it is just a *bit* larger than TinyCore. :)  8.6.1 fixed a bug with 32-bit boot with 8.6.0

https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix860-en.html

One thing I like is a new boot cheatcode:  enabletap

Previously I had to play with commands for Synaptic trackpads, or manually edit some files with persistence to enable the tap function.  Having it be a boot cheatcode solves this problem nicely, while still staying out of the way for the head-chef / developer, Klaus.  Thanks!

I won't repeat the whole article you can read online in Linux Magazine (in German, although Google translate does a nice job) in regards to ver 8.5, where systemd was deprecated after a few years of trial.

Busybox:  Looks like Debian got the hint, and upgraded their stale old busybox to at least just one version back from the very latest (as of this writing) - 1.30.1.  That's good news for TC users like myself who like busybox shell scripting, where sometimes bash'isms can poke their heads out.

Spent some time with it and will keep it for kitchen-sink stuff.  It's what I compiled the Terminus fonts with for TC.

Hint - oh man, what a pleasure to run
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
to get my beloved Terminus fonts running quickly.  Anyone who wishes to improve upon the terminus-fonts.tcz is more than welcome to do so!

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth