WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: hello, something for finding keymappings please  (Read 1366 times)

Offline derp

hello, something for finding keymappings please
« on: February 09, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »
Okay, hello guys.

I just tried to figure out the shit my keyboard is giving me. Turns out there's a volume wheel in front of this laptop that occasionally gets jostled and generates ~[26 and ~[28 in aterm, and so manages to accidentally UPCASE random parts of my fresh work in my editor. So I looked around for a tool to put a sock in it. There's xmodmap but not much else. After manually editing a keydump to generate something different on every empty key I didn't find the keys I need to remap, so that's no good.

So I turned to the app loader and found... no xev. That's a bummer, because that's the classic tiny X app for figuring out the numbers to feed to xmodmap to shut up unruly keys.

But there's xbindkeys. Which is big, and non-obvious, and has half a dozen dependencies including GUILE. What's this, emacs is infecting my X now? No thank you. It doesn't help that it really wants to install itself for keeps, which I'm not interested in. Too big, too involved, too get out of my tiny desktop already, thanks.

Look, I get it, apps only exist because people build them, and which ones get built is up to whoever scratches that itch and what they know. But seriously, sucking in half a dozen libraries including GUILE just to configure a few keys, in tiny core? When the much smaller xev would be a much better fit for this basic task? Because there doesn't seem to exist anything else in the repo that can do this.

So, request: A small app to figure out just the keys so I can feed a couple -e lines to xmodmap in a startup script would be nice. Doesn't have to be xev, but something that doesn't need dependencies beyond just X would be nice.

PS: The registration process was... interesting in what's called the Chinese sense. Multiple captchas and ornery checker scripts say you have a spam problem you're desperately fighting. Just like having a captcha on a new thread box after having passed the previous three captchas at registration. Having to try and pass a match-the-picture captcha where the pictures don't load is a tad annoying, though.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: hello, something for finding keymappings please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »
Hi derp
Welcome to the forum. If you want  xev  it's provided by  Xorg-7.7-bin.tcz.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: hello, something for finding keymappings please
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
Hi derp
Xorg-7.7-bin.tcz  also contains  xinput. This should help you identify the  volume wheel:
Code: [Select]
xinput list
Then, using the  volume wheels  id  try this:
Code: [Select]
xinput disable id