WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Run as Root  (Read 1664 times)

Offline jshaw

Run as Root
« on: November 25, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
Good Day,

I am trying to get TinyCore up and running as a USB admin tool.  I'm running into trouble getting root access to work the way I want.  Because I am using this as an admin tool, I don't care about all of that security stuff  you need in frugal install.  I could live without root access under certain circumstances, but I have not found a way to make that work either.  Basically what I am looking to do is create a TinyCore usb stick similar to parted magic, only not focused on partition work.

I have 2 boot options setup in my boot menu.  The first is a standard load of the TinyCorePure64.  The second is the same, only I have used the "superuser" boot option.  The second option works fine unless I want to load the gui.  startx from superuser doesn't load much of a desktop.  Apparently, all of that is part of the TC user profile.  If I load the standard TinyCorePure64 with the GUI, and try to launch something like gparted, it will not.  Why bother creating the launcher icon at all?  Of course it works if I run it from terminal using sudo, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Here is what I would like.  Can I get the default desktop config to work from the superuser boot option?  It would be great if I could get it to auto load, but typing startx isn't too labor intensive.  The other option is to modify the launcher icons to run as root.  I think this is the harder option, because those are loaded after the fact as part of the extensions, so I don't think it's as easy as just editing the launcher.

What is the best way to get this to work?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Run as Root
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
You can edit the icons in the extensions fairly easily. See squashfs-tools.tcz, the wiki has info on what files to edit.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.