WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore-11  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Twist

• WikiUser
Re: piCore-11
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
Great stuff. With a few modifications (config.txt, cmdline.txt and remastered to change /etc/inttab) I got 11alpha1a up and running on a headless zero-w with just a serial console.
Next steps obvs to see if wireless can be made functional. I then noticed that the tcz's currently available do not cover those normally covered by compiletc. Missing at the moment are: bison, findutils, m4, make, patch, pkg-config, libffi_base-dev, libmount-dev. Not sure all of those are needed all the time, but certainly make is.

Can you give an indicative timeline of when these will be available so that any other missing tcz's can be compiled and build under picore11 itself?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Check repo, many of the claimed tcz packages were aded to repos today.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Twist

• WikiUser
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
Ah, nice.
Not sure if you're aware, but mpfr.tcz is not yet available (gcc > mpc > mpfr).
This may not be the right place to ask, but can I compile 11.x extensions on a 9.x, or 10.x picore system? Or should I just wait a little until the basics for compiling tcz's on 11.x is available?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
can I compile 11.x extensions on a 9.x, or 10.x picore system? Or should I just wait a little until the basics for compiling tcz's on 11.x is available?

Yes, they are expected to work.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline uli

• WikiUser
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Hi,

installed it on a 3B+ and it works out of the box. Great work. Thanks.

I dared to mess a bit with the boot files to allow for a (somewhat simplistic) dual boot with Rasbian, plus, went for httplist to get rid of the root partition and load extensions from the web instead.
However, that way I found that I couldn't reliably connect to the networks. Turned out that eth0 is not available in this case.

Seems that a waitusb as a kernel parameter solved it for now. Generally at least, no statistics on rare failures yet.

So, I am happy I could solve it. Assuming now that issue is an inherent one of the current build, and not due to my messing around. Unless you tell me otherwise...

Though, I am wondering whether the boot sequence should perhaps make sure that we are waiting for eth0 becoming available first, then going for a dhcp request and onwards.

Since I would guess there are very few people these days who wish to run their 3B+ without networks, I would think trying to harden the startup procedure for everyone might perhaps be beneficial. I know by far too little about the Raspi world (yet) to dig into these things myself, but perhaps someone might have a good idea, or tell me that I caused that issue myself by messing around with boot files...

Uli

Offline Paul_123

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
PiCore is a very basic shell of Linux.   Everyone does something different with it.  Network purposely connects in the background.

If you need to wait for network,  add some code in /opt/bootlocal.sh to wait for network to be up and connected with a valid address.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:17:24 AM by Paul_123 »