WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore-11  (Read 7066 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
piCore-11
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »
After a long pause due to busy with daily job load, a new piCore core is ready and first test release will be available during the next days. Main characteristics:
  • built on 4.19.81 kernel
  • supports all boards including Pi 4 B
  • version number bumped to 11 to avoid conflicts with other releases

Stay tuned !  ;)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline shadow of death

Re: piCore-11
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »
Sounds real promising,

how about the driver support for the 4 (like dual monitor). Will there be an image seperation in feature for v11? To more shrink the images. (pi 1-2, pi 3, pi 4 image?) in this case no unneeded kernel images are on the sd.

Is the new fw update for the eeprom included? (This resolve overheeting and other problems)

Good work ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:05:38 AM »
I can't answer the question about multiple monitors, video acceleration, etc. It will come later. First the common base must be ready than the usual CLI tools to meet demand of typical embedded applications.
Béla

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:57:40 AM »
Hello,

That is great .  There is a regular  64 bit mainline Lin OS  (Free)  Deb (based)   RPi  already available.

Multimedia  is correct on it.   

Researched    MAC  address       (ident)

Thx

Vin.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »
Hello,

That is great .  There is a regular  64 bit mainline Lin OS  (Free)  Deb (based)   RPi  already available.

Multimedia  is correct on it.   

Researched    MAC  address       (ident)

Thx

Vin.

Please do not spam here, your post is not related to piCore-11 at all. If you want to tell something about other distros it is great, just open a new topic!
Béla

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
Bela,

Glad to see you back!

I have been running the 64bit kernel on the pi4 for sometime (32bit userspace)  At least as far as the 4GB version of that board, it is really benefited by the 64 bit kernel (memory management).   For pCP, I'm probably going to drop building the 32 bit kernel for the pi4......but not going to mess with 64bit userspace.

Paul

Offline shadow of death

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
Nice to hear about of all this, if i can help with something, like servers for crossbuilding, or some suggestions and tipps or other kind of help, many of hardware and the ability to test stuff.

Please let me know, i'm real looking forward to this, since its needed for a project wich is in dev and needed the pi4 (cause its the only pi with dual monitor support) and is needed a ram only system like tcl.

So i willed to help where i can.

Bela, i can offer some server's with i7-7700, some with xeon 1245v3, some with xeon e5-2680v4, pi4 2gb, and many hardware perifferals for testing, storage and bandwith.

Greatings Robert,
from broatcast-consulting.de

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
Hi Paul,

well with the so many different and now significantly different boards it is a good question whether we need a dedicated image for boards like PI3 / PI4 including WiFi and Bluetooth modules (tools), USB OTG for Zero, etc. The main issue is whether we really need 64-bit kernel or not or even more 64-bit apps.

Can you provide some figures and details abot benefits of 64-bit kernel pCP?

Béla
Béla

Offline shadow of death

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »
The splitting of the images i suggestest already some early in another thread, this will benefit in more space saving and in a better case of support the different boards.

I suggest in this case:
  • Pi1-2
  • Pi3 in 1 or 2 versions
  • Pi zero in 1 or 2 versions
  • Pi 4 only 1 image

Pi1-2 only for backward compatible, maybe just stop support and only provide old v9 the usage here go trending downward and its cheaper to buy a new pi these days. I think go forward here is a step backward of wasted energy and time.

For Pi3 there are possibly 2 options, provide a image with and without wireless from stock, but i think the better option is to provide just 1 image with wireless and bluetooth support from stock, the main reason here is simple.
Even the most ppl without the wireless on board will then mostly add wireless via external adapter later. So ship only 1 image here sounds like the best idea for me and minimize the support outcome again.

For the Pi Zero there is the only device where i see a benefit of 2 images, with and without wireless. The main reasons here are that an a zero every bit counts in performance, adding wireless or network is often not needed for Pi Zero's. So maybe the only Pi where its reasonable to provide and support 2 images.

The Pi4 specialy, i would only provide 1 single image. 64bit onyl,with 32bit libs for supporting old apps. But no need to split the images for 32 and 64 bit. To much support again, and since the Pi4 is the first Pi thats realy benefits from a 64 bit system, its more likly to be 1 of the os's that support 64bit Pi. There are also hacks for a 64bit kernel on a Pi3, since the Pi3 already have a 64bit prozessor, wich is only reportet false from Kernel, but the Pi3 not benefits from it at all. (Only needed for [mabe fun] and some special dev stuff)
But for the Pi4 there are much performance benefits in storage, speed, prozessor functionality, power consumtion, networking, and at not only the last the memory management.

Offline shadow of death

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »
Additional, the 64 Bit for a Pi4 increase the performence of the processor under load, enable ARMv8 features and modern cpu features like hardware supported crypting, SIMD command support and other sleeping features on 32bit.
Bigger storeage support, and for feature, for example mozilla and google will stop supporting 32bit and plan to only deploy 64bit software, wich will be a pain in the ass to support them later with a 32bit os.

On top there are better and more security features that are supportet in 64bit.

Here is an good pro/con article:
https://www.guru99.com/32-bit-vs-64-bit-operating-systems.html

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 12:22:37 AM »
Nice to hear about of all this, if i can help with something, like servers for crossbuilding, or some suggestions and tipps or other kind of help, many of hardware and the ability to test stuff.

Please let me know, i'm real looking forward to this, since its needed for a project wich is in dev and needed the pi4 (cause its the only pi with dual monitor support) and is needed a ram only system like tcl.

So i willed to help where i can.

Bela, i can offer some server's with i7-7700, some with xeon 1245v3, some with xeon e5-2680v4, pi4 2gb, and many hardware perifferals for testing, storage and bandwith.

Greatings Robert,
from broatcast-consulting.de

Hi Robert

thanks for offer. I have all necessary hw, servers, etc. in this phase. As soon as something is missing I will tell you :)

Where you can help is testing, QA and provide feedback.

Regards,

Béla
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:26:28 AM »
Additional, the 64 Bit for a Pi4 increase the performence of the processor under load, enable ARMv8 features and modern cpu features like hardware supported crypting, SIMD command support and other sleeping features on 32bit.
Bigger storeage support, and for feature, for example mozilla and google will stop supporting 32bit and plan to only deploy 64bit software, wich will be a pain in the ass to support them later with a 32bit os.

On top there are better and more security features that are supportet in 64bit.

Here is an good pro/con article:
https://www.guru99.com/32-bit-vs-64-bit-operating-systems.html

Hi Robert,

still I'm not fully convinced we really need 64-bit on RPI, but for sure we can't avoid to have it. As soon as 32-bit cor is stabilized I will make a 64-bit version.

Béla
Béla

Offline shadow of death

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:59:23 AM »
I mean we can avoid it until January 19, 2038 3:14:07   ::)

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
The issue with the pi4 4GB version with the 32bit kernel is how it addresses memory over 3GB.  I'll have to take a look for the data, but I know the RPI guys were a bit shocked at the improvement of just changing to the 64bit kernel.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 11:20:39 PM »
Re: dropping support for Pi-2 and moving forwards ..  I would hope not, but only if it is not a drag on developer resources, nor hinders development for recent boards for technical reasons.

The whole mantra of the *core family is to blur the edges on what is considered obsolete, as long as your intended use-case can be justified.  And I think a PI-2 is in sufficient numbers either in use, or in drawers that can still be put to good use.

It's an interesting thing - with nothing mechanical to go wrong, not even a leaking rtc battery, it is possible that a PI could run for 50 years!  So when does it become obsolete?  :)

It's my long way of saying that if it isn't a problem for the dev (Bela), I'd still like to see it supported if possible.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth