WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Number of colors in microcore VT  (Read 5127 times)

Offline glykos

• Homepage
Number of colors in microcore VT
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »
Dear All,

Introduction: I have prepared a custom version of microcore preloaded with fish shell, fzf, gcc, perl and friends and I'm distributing this to students for a 101 course on linux and C programming. To make it easier for them, I give them a qcow2 image together with QEMU so that they only have to run a script and be ready to go. What they get looks similar to the screenshot I'm attaching.

The problem: is that fish shell doesn't play well with the 8 colors available through the linux kernel VT. I have seen kmscon, but I don't think that I can even try to built it for microcore (can't even find the libtsm library).

The question: I would be grateful for any suggestions / ideas / things to try. Going to an X11 environment is out of question, many students run this on slow windows XP machines, so adding X11 on top of QEMU on top of a slow machine is not viable.

Thanks a lot,
Nicholas

ps. If anyone needs access to the real files, the custom qcow2 image is available via https://utopia.duth.gr/glykos/linux/tinycore.img
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 02:04:41 AM by glykos »

Online curaga

• Administrator
Re: Number of colors in microcore VT
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
There's at least one terminal emulator for the framebuffer, fbterm. Compiling libtsm should be pretty easy too, low-level libraries like that don't tend to make it hard.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
That is interesting.

You know the global  Monster (M___t)  it has a single standart video driver within it's OS that drives all hardware vendors  (pc's )....

yeah....a stock driver........ (something like Vesa...... ).......

................O__0..............

Thx

V

Offline glykos

• Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:18:31 PM »
There's at least one terminal emulator for the framebuffer, fbterm. Compiling libtsm should be pretty easy too, low-level libraries like that don't tend to make it hard.

Thanks a lot, I'll try both suggestions.

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 12:00:37 AM »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline glykos

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:16:07 AM »
Stumbled upon another:
https://github.com/uobikiemukot/yaft

Ah, nice catch. It seems that it builds without issues and without many dependencies. Thanks a lot.