WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: will there ever be a released Pi-core for PI 3 b+ ?  (Read 6845 times)

Offline lhl

will there ever be a released Pi-core for PI 3 b+ ?
« on: September 12, 2019, 02:51:40 AM »
I desperately need a version of TinyCore that can run on a PI 3 b+ 
with most of  the TZE's ported as well

the betas of PiCore -10 are old and dysfunctional
I have read though a lot of posts and it seems like Pi-Core for Raspberry is halted, and nobody is working on it
Does any body have any news, at all?

Offline TimJ

Re: will there ever be a released Pi-core for PI 3 b+ ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:33:29 AM »
I also needed piCore for the Pi3B+ so a few months ago I put together a release and tczs that met my needs, they are available as piCorw 10.1beta1a and is available here timjanes.uk.

I believe it is functional, has all the tcz needed to support the hardware on the pi3B+ ie WiFi, Bluetooth etc and compiletc so that it can be used as a command line development system.

I also added commands tce-load9 and tce-ab9 that can be used to load extension from piCore9, in general if they don't link with ssl or ncurses there is a good chance that they will work on this release.

It is a major amount of work to rebuild a significant number of tcz so I have only done those I need and I don't use X so I have not done anything but command line. There are reports that the basic X server from 9 do work.

I am self employed so my work load varies drastically and I have been fully occupied the last couple of months so I have not had any time to devote to piCore.

I see the priority would be to get a release that supports the Pi4 as well as other Pi and that may help to get some momentum going. I ill see if I can put a release together, I have had piCore running on the Pi4.

What are your requirements?

Tim.

Offline Oliver Sedlacek

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm new to Tinycore and I'm also looking for a Pi 3B+ release as it's what I've got. I tried V10 Beta 12B and that boots fine, but I need to run a web browser and it seems no GUI is available. As a newbie to TC, can anyone answer these questions.
1. Should I give up on the Pi 3B+ and look for a Pi 4 release?
2. Is it ambitious of me to consider compiling the extensions I need for a particular target?
3. Where are the instructions for compiling and installing extensions?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 03:26:25 AM »
You can either try manually downloading extensions from the 9.x repo to see if they work in 10.x or you could try compiling extensions yourself, but in the case of the gui there are a lot of them.

There is an extension making section in the wiki and you can also look the build notes/scripts in the repo:

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/9.x/armv7/tcz/src/

Offline Oliver Sedlacek

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 02:38:27 AM »
That's looking way too difficult for me. I've tried following the http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:adding_a_desktop_to_microcore instructions but that didn't work so I'm rather demoralised.
Without a roadmap of Pi ports I don't know which way to go.

Offline TimJ

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:24 AM »
I have made the GUI easy to install in piCore10.1beata1a see the last post here

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,22969.15.html

I will look at getting a browser going

Tim.

Offline Oliver Sedlacek

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:51:26 AM »
Tim, thanks for the new Beta, it's a big step forward! Now I just need to figure out how to add the appbrowser.