WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: exFAT partition  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Chau

exFAT partition
« on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
The mmcblk0p2 partition is of type ext4 if I recall correctly. I would like to be able to put the SD card in a Windows 10 machine and put new data onto the second partition.

Is it possible to change the type of the second partition to exFAT or something similar that Windows 10 can read and write?

I could settle for a third partition if the second partition for some reason needs to be ext4.

Regards, Casper

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
Re: exFAT partition
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
For the RPi, the first partition is DOS, because it is used to prepare the GPU, whilst the second partition is the Linux operating system partition, it needs to be a Linux filesystem.

If you know what you are doing, you can create a smaller Linux partition, before installing, you would need to change the size in /usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh, (TARGET_END=$((8000000)) ) - but it is likely easier to use a special program under MSWindows to access the data, or just use a separate pendrive to transfer the files.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
I don’t know if it also applies to sd cards, but windows can only see the first partition on a usb stick.

If windows can see more than one partition, then make a third partition - the second partition needs to be a linux file system.

Offline Chau

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I will probably look into creating a third partition. If I put the SD card into my Windows 10 machine, both partitions shows up, but only the first is recognised correctly. So I guess a third partition would be visible too.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »
Hi Chau
... both partitions shows up, but only the first is recognised correctly. So I guess a third partition would be visible too.
The first partition is DOS so it should recognize that. The second is EXT2, so unless you have a driver installed for that I wouldn't
expect windows to recognize that. It probably treats it like an empty partition.

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »
Hi Chau,

I think you are making things more difficult than necessary.

I use WinSCP on Win10 to add files to my Raspberry Pi. Saves having to shutdown the RPi and removing the SD card.

BTW: Always ignore Windows warnings about formatting the SD card partitions.

regards
Greg