WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: KernelPanic (new non!-user help please)  (Read 25750 times)

Offline thl04

Re: KernelPanic (new non!-user help please)
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2019, 05:45:34 AM »
Unbelievable - pcc started in 70ties,
are working for near a half of a century?
Gosh ! Déjà vu or what !! Raised from the dead :) thanks for the heads-up.
I dont go quite that far back ! Just to DOS on a 286 a year or two before Windows3.11 was inflicted on    introduced to the world.

Back to topic :-

He also reported many other distros with recent kernels fail, options.
Yes, the latest Mint was one of them that failed.
I have just tried a Mint from 2015 and that boots ok,
lmde-2-201503-cinnamon-64bit.iso
( in fact I was using it to torrent (Transmission) an older Ubuntu, all was going well until it  ran out of disk space with 65MB to go in the 2.08 GB iso ! grrr )

So, we seem to have determined that it is not a TinyCore problem -it is more widespread.
so this isnt really on topic any more is it :)

Not sure what to do next, one of the famous attributes of Linux is its ability to run on older systems :(
And its ability to make small USB recovery drives ( to rescue Win**s et al !) perhaps I should go looking at those ?
Surely I can not be the only one in the world to have an old PC that isnt now supported ? !

Thanks to you all for sorting me out, at least I can run some Linux and have not (yet ! )  run away tearing my hair out, lol!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2019, 08:13:12 AM »
Hi thl04
Googling for:
Code: [Select]
kernel panic hp compaq dc5800suggests you need a BIOS update due to a kernel regression that occurred somewhere around 4.13 or 4.14

This bug report shows several people with your hardware experiencing the same problem and solving it with a BIOS update:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1520265

The bug report also links to:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Trying-to-update-the-bios-on-dc-5800-mt/m-p/5746185#M134271
which provides a  DOS Flash.zip  file and instructions for updating your BIOS.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »
Hi thl04
... The bug report also links to:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Trying-to-update-the-bios-on-dc-5800-mt/m-p/5746185#M134271
Or you can try finding what you need at the HP website to update your BIOS to version 1.60.

Offline thl04

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
suggests you need a BIOS update due to a kernel regression that occurred somewhere around 4.13 or 4.14

Thanks Rich, nice find !

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »
Hi, Rich!
Interesting and somewhat unpleasant information on the kernel regressions. Hope that your advice will help thl04.
Ducking the kernel regressions information, i met one topic on arch bbs, discussing some bug around 4.13 kernel concerning input-output specific MMU operation. Guys fight the issue booting with intel_iommu=off parameter. From your point of view can it be usefull for thl04 trouble healing?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
Hi jazzbiker
... Guys fight the issue booting with intel_iommu=off parameter. From your point of view can it be usefull for thl04 trouble healing?
It's hard to say. I haven't seen anything that nails down the exact nature of the problem. I read that someone got rid of the kernel
panic with the  acpi=off nolapic noapic  boot codes. I had suggest that to thl04 several days ago but it didn't work for him. I think
someone else said just using  acpi=off  fixed it for them. The dmesg from the 4.8 kernel shows this:
Code: [Select]
PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use "pci=nocrs" and report a bug
ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (domain 0000 [bus 00-ff])
acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC: OS supports [ExtendedConfig ASPM ClockPM Segments MSI]
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): \_SB.PCI0._OSC: Excess arguments - ASL declared 5, ACPI requires 4 (20160422/nsarguments-189)
ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160422/dsfield-211)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0._OSC] (Node f4c1dc30), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160422/psparse-542)
acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ALREADY_EXISTS); disabling ASPM
acpi PNP0A08:00: [Firmware Info]: MMCONFIG for domain 0000 [bus 00-3f] only partially covers this bridge
It's possible the later kernels are less tolerant of these errors.