WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Electron: Chromium Sandbox crashes (in a VM)  (Read 4051 times)

Offline x0r13

Electron: Chromium Sandbox crashes (in a VM)
« on: August 09, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
Hi,

I just installed TCL in a VirtualBox VM to test it out. I want it to run a small Electron app, and nothing else, so TCL is pretty much perfect due to it's small size. I already had to switch to Xorg because of the XInputExtension problem.

However, when starting the Electron app, it shows up for a second and then crashes:

https://imgur.com/yU31Kv0

I found out, that a workaround is to disable sandboxing by adding "app.commandLine.appendSwitch('no-sandbox')" to my code. But I'd like to have it running with sandboxing enabled.

Any ideas?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Electron: Chromium Sandbox crashes (in a VM)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
So, syscall 372 on x86-32 is recvmsg. Googling says this is a Chromium bug, it uses that syscall indirectly but doesn't allow it in the sandbox setup; only reported once for this particular syscall, but many reports for others.

I guess they very rarely test 32-bit nowadays. Unless you want to patch and build chromium yourself, moving to 64-bit may be the only remaining option.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline neonix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:36:48 AM »
I'm not sure but this problem may be related to old dependencies that TC has. You can test in different Linux distros or architectures and tell us is this problem is relented to TinyCore itself or something else. You can paste your crush log to search engine and see that other distros users has similar problem. 

I don't know what Chromium versions and what TC version you used. Try older Chromium version.

Offline x0r13

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:59 AM »
Oh, sorry forgot to mention the versions:

node: 12.4.0
Chrome: 76.0.3809.102
Electron 6.0.1

I'll be away over the weekend, but I might be able to try in another x86 VM next week. Thanks so far.

Offline x0r13

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »
Hey,

just tried under a fresh debian i386 with the same versions as above, and everything works as expected. So looks like it's something with TC :(

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
Different versions of libraries call different syscalls. As Chromium sets up the sandbox, it's Chromium's responsibility to enable the syscalls it might use. In Debian's case, the libraries are likely much older than TC's.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.