WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tcz resets USB hub?  (Read 5659 times)

Offline atomant

Installing usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tcz resets USB hub?
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:25:45 AM »
Greetings!

I have this:

Code: [Select]
Linux box 4.9.22-piCore #1 Sat Apr 15 15:30:03 UTC 2017 armv6l GNU/Linuxrunning on a Raspberry Pi Zero W with a Zero4U usb HUB attached (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3298). There is a USB sound card and an Arduino connected to the system trough the USB hub. To be able to talk to the Arduino, i'm using the usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tcz package. During booting of the system i noticed that the USB hub, along with the connected Arduino and USB sound card (it has a LED on it) seem to get powercycled (so at turn on everyting lights up, then during booting suddenly LEDs on the HUB and also on attached devices go out and then come back on after half a second or so). I'm not completely sure but i believe this corresponds to the usb-serial package getting installed. My questions are:
-is this to be expected or there's something fishy going on?
-if it is to be expected, is there a way to avoid the reset/powercycle?

Thanks in advance!
|-|4\/3 4 |\|1(3 |)4\|

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Installing usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tcz resets USB hub?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 06:12:06 AM »
Hi atomant
... I'm not completely sure but i believe this corresponds to the usb-serial package getting installed. ...
The first thing you would need to do, is to be sure. Otherwise you're just guessing. Open up your  onboot.lst  file and remove:
Code: [Select]
usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tczSave and reboot. Does it still happen?

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: Installing usb-serial-4.9.22-piCore.tcz resets USB hub?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »
Many USB hubs power cycle the ports during host startup.   My USB3 hub connected to my PC does that.