WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCorePlus-bionic UEFI/BIOS iso  (Read 15425 times)

Offline PDP-8

Re: dCorePlus-bionic UEFI/BIOS iso
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 02:53:33 AM »
That works GREAT!

No problems whatsoever.  Gdisk shows a good bill of health, the stick is recognized in the other Linux system, and Gparted easily creates an ext2 filesystem and "fixes" the gpt to fit the size of the stick.

Rebooted and ran the tce-setdrive utility which had no problems showing the two partitions, sda1 and sda2.  Naturally I chose sda2 which is the recently created ext2 filesystem.

Thank you Jason for making it just a bit easier for us slackers. :)
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »
dCore Bionic test - now Chromebook and Rufus friendly!

Chromebook:

Guess what?  With the latest fix, I can make a Google Chromebook burn the dcore image easily using their recovery utility.  Merely by changing the file extension from (.img to .bin), and telling the tool not to go online, but use a "local image".

I used a late-model 64 bit Chromebook.  HOWEVER, once dCore has been created, it is no longer visible in the chromebooks own file utility.

Basically that means I'm using a chromebook as a dcore usb burner.  I'm not attempting to boot dcore on the chromebook - although I'm sure it can be done with developer mode, yadda yadda.  I didn't go there.

And since the Chromebook has no built-in way to create filesystems, other than a total reformat, that means that another option, such as fdisk'ing another drive could be done to find a place to put your tce directory.  Or have another stick formatted ext2  - etc etc.   For sure, young minds won't be stymied!

RUFUS:

Even easier.  Pick the dCore img.  Burn.  There are no other choices to be made since they are all greyed out and dd is in operation behind the gui curtain.

EXT2 notes:

When burned with our commandline dd, when you fire up Gparted to use the rest of the drive as an ext2 filesystem for tce, it notices and pops up the option to "fix" the gpt while laying down the fs.  Let it do so.

BUT, when burned with Rufus, and later using Gparted to put down an ext2 filesystem on the stick, this option to "fix" the gpt is not shown.  It just immediately lays down the fs.

Make of this what you will - but now with the ability to burn dCore manually for us gray-beards, with a Chromebook, or with Rufus, it opens up a window for a larger audience that may be interested in Linux, dCore in particular.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
Ops note:

The only problem, if you want to call it that, is if a new user is moving too fast, and runs the tce-setdrive utility before making an ext2 filesystem on the rest of the drive, (or knowledgeable enough about making one elsewhere), is that they may be tempted to put it on the only available option - /dev/sda1

Maybe a first-run "popup" or some other fine notification could be given. :)

Minor.  Linux, Windows, or Chromebook to burn now seems to be covering all the bases, even though I was happy to dd manually.