WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Please Add Mercurial (hg) to CorePure64 10.x  (Read 3056 times)

SeventhSin

Please Add Mercurial (hg) to CorePure64 10.x
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »
Hello,

As per Subject. Please add Mercurial SCM latest stable to the repos.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Please Add Mercurial (hg) to CorePure64 10.x
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:03 AM »
posted

SeventhSin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
posted

Fantastic! Thank you Juanito. Would it be possible to have this on x86-32 as well? I know the title mentions CorePure64 but I think it wouldn't hurt to align the repos as much as possible in terms of availability of software. Less confusing I guess.  ::)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
Hi SeventhSin
posted

Fantastic! Thank you Juanito. Would it be possible to have this on x86-32 as well? I know the title mentions CorePure64 but I think it wouldn't hurt to align the repos as much as possible in terms of availability of software. Less confusing I guess.  ::)
Extensions should not be requested to  "keep the repos aligned"  but rather be made on an as needed basis. If someone really needs
a 32 bit version they can request it themselves. However, if keeping the repos aligned is truly important to you, you are welcome to
take the time to build and submit extensions missing from either repository. Extension lists for both repos are here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/info.lst
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/tcz/info.lst
Just run a  diff  to see what's different. :)

SeventhSin

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
Extension lists for both repos are here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/info.lst
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/tcz/info.lst
Just run a  diff  to see what's different. :)

Hello Rich! I hope you're doing well.  ::)

Thank you for supplying info.lst URLs. I was actually thinking of cooking up a script to show me what's different between the two repos. You just made my life easier. Yay!! & thank you again.  :o

Extensions should not be requested to  "keep the repos aligned"  but rather be made on an as needed basis. If someone really needs
a 32 bit version they can request it themselves.

I didn't know I was breaking the rules with that request. Sorry about that. However,  my request is still valid, because I am that someone who needs the 32 bit version as well, due to my extensively testing on both architectures.

However, if keeping the repos aligned is truly important to you, you are welcome to
take the time to build and submit extensions missing from either repository.

Right now there are a couple of reasons I am not submitting extensions:

a) I use different naming conventions
b) Most of my extensions are niche
c) I do not make a submission unless I am ready to support it for a very, very long time (think years) and until now I have yet to work out what I can afford to support and what I don't
d) I do not have a dev environment setup for official submissions, with all the rules & peculiarities taken into account

Basically, I only requested  1 extension (Mercurial) and I only requested it because:

1) I supposed the core maintainers have dev environments already set-up for official submissions
2) I build Mercurial myself a couple of days ago and it was trivial
from 1) & 2) I derived that
3) It is trivial for the core maintainers to quickly and painlessly submit such an extension with all the required bells & whistles, provided that they choose to do so
4) A Mercurial extension submission as a whole would benefit everybody, not just me

Now you have it!  :o
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:20:29 AM by SeventhSin »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
Hi SeventhSin
... I didn't know I was breaking the rules with that request. Sorry about that. ...
No need to apologize, you didn't break any rules.
... However,  my request is still valid, because I am that someone who needs the 32 bit version as well, due to my extensively testing on both architectures. ...
Your wording only suggested keeping repos aligned, not a need for 32 bit too. Of course you can request an extension for multiple
architectures if you use them on multiple architectures.

The point was, only request what you really need. Which you apparently meant to, it just didn't read that way.

SeventhSin

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
The point was, only request what you really need. Which you apparently meant to, it just didn't read that way.

Point taken.

At the time I opened the thread, I didn't know if anyone would choose to do it. Some contributors choose to submit an extension to both x86-32 and x86-64 for their own reasons, while others only submit to a particular platform. When I noticed Juanito submited for x86-64 only, I realized I should have requested Mercurial for both x86-32 and x86-64. I also assumed that the extension author would care more about keeping the repos aligned than my particular needs. Although my assumptions were logical, they weren't optimal for this particular context.

Thank you Rich, for making me aware of that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:42:06 AM by SeventhSin »