WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nomadic "web" based Tinycore...... but web browsers?  (Read 4363 times)

Online vinceASPECT

nomadic "web" based Tinycore...... but web browsers?
« on: July 07, 2019, 02:25:35 AM »
Hello,

Just wondering if TCL has a very up to date, modern web browser yet?  Maybe Chromium 77 or such?

(last time i checked i think TCL had a chromium from over 5 years ago.........  ver 23...?)

Vivaldi latest?

I know that there are some tcz builds of very modern browsers....... so why doesn't the repo contain a build?
(......which i don't believe it does) 

please could you put one in. Since the tcz's exist. (Maybe).

The reason i say the aboce is because i believe the "web" is a large leverage mechanism about the core principles behind tinycore............. (Nomadic web browser based OS)

V

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:33:14 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: nomadic "web" based Tinycore...... but web browsers?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:40 AM »
Hi vinceASPECT
If you want a "very up to date, modern web browser", use the  firefox_getLatest.tcz  extension. Run the script it provides and it will
fetch the latest version of  Firefox  and package it into an extension.

... Vivaldi latest? ...
As you are well aware (you posted there twice) scripts to fetch  Vivaldi  are shown here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21919.msg137119.html#msg137119
If you are expecting updates to the  TC6  repo:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21919.msg141192.html#msg141192
I would say that's highly unlikely.

I know that there are some tcz builds of very modern browsers....... so why doesn't the repo contain a build?
It sounds like you are trying to ask why the browser versions in the repo are not more up to date. I'd say the answer is twofold:
1. New releases coming out once or twice a month.
2. Requests for updates (Firefox for example) being made every 3 to 6 weeks.

This was possibly one of the reasons coreplayer2 created the  firefox_getLatest.tcz  extension.

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
Yes RIch,

You are right.

I just wondered why TCL browsers are not anywhere near up-to-date in the latest TCL builds and repo's....?...............That being TCL 10.

I got it all working correct. It's just FF 67 is a lame browser. Any version is lame really.

The Vivaldi home brew builds for TCL 6 don't work proper with Flash.  Probably was not tested.

Not actually tried TCL 10 with Vivaldi home brews ....but 64 bit or not....they likely have never been
tested with Flash either. They likely don't work.

i will live in hope of a "get--latest" (of some decent browser) extension......... NOT FF browser.....

.....but in many years i have used TCL it's never arrived.  CHromium or the new Msoft Edge are excelletn candidates.

thx

V
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:46:56 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
Hi vinceASPECT
You could try:
Code: [Select]
  epiphany.tcz  last updated  2018/12/15
  fifth.tcz     last updated  2018/11/20
  netsurf.tcz   last updated  2019/01/17
  palemoon.tcz  last updated  2018/05/04

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
Rich...

Thanks.....uh.......i will give the home brew Vivaldi's or Chromiums a go on TCL 10 (64) maybe

yes...

thanks Rich

V

Offline hiro

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:25 PM »
I got it all working correct. It's just FF 67 is a lame browser. Any version is lame really.

in my experience all "modern" browsers are lame, all two of them (all the webkit based stuff behave 99% the same).

it's kinda systematic to the web and how it's "standardization" process got taken over by big business. or at least mostly by that one big advertisement company we all love to share our most private data with.

sadly dealing with basic bureaucracy in life gets harder and harder without firefox or webkit.
but there is still opera9 and dillo, which i am very thankful for. and at least most of the content that is actually worth reading can be accessed without me having to waste high memory cpu resources (even during idle phases). if i have *any* (of the two) "modern" browsers open, even just in the background, my battery lasts only half as long.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
Netsurf is my Dillo replacement.  Interesting because it can be made in a framebuffer version too.  Not that I'm skilled enough to make a tcz for that.

Nor will I do my banking with it. :)
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline hiro

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »
I tried to use a mouse and keyboard once to control netsurf in framebuffer, and that made me gave up on using plain fb for anything graphical.
Otoh I *love* tinycorelinux for introducing me to the fb versions of xorg: Tinyx, Xvesa and Xfbdev. That is the best compromise IMO :)

Quite some while ago I had to make do with some 128MB Ram computer, which was approaching usability with tinycorelinux, dillo and a 1Mbit docsis connection.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:43:32 PM by hiro »

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 02:58:29 AM »
Yes forum,

Netsurf is fine for information browsing. Dillo too. They are very nice little browsers.

Then there is the need for a powerhouse browser. Something that is completely compliant to the nTH
degree. There are lots of these browsers, but i feel the latest Msoft offering is a real surprise performer.
It's based off of Chromium but it is very fast. Edge. (dev)

Netsurf on win32 is fine. So is "D+" which is the dillo version for win32.  I use them both a lot but
my favorite is Links.  Links seems to always be compliant and will load almost all web pages so it's nice and fast on both Lin and Win

i tend to run browsers in a Ram drive .......even although this more modern machine here has an SSD.

Slimjet isn't a half bad browser on memory, performance and extra features (Chrome based)

I sometimes use "free Cloud browsers" by dialing into them from an existing browser or rdp client...... since they are very fast compared to your local hardware and have zero HIT on your local hardware.

So that would be free services like "Kasm browser" (which is infact a full free server too)

Also i use the free SILO cloud browser of which i have an unlimited free Log-ins for data passed. The good thing with SILO is that it has zero HIT on your local machine and just uses a RDP terminal and about 1 percent of cpu and a few megs of ram...... but you can do extremely heavy web browsing on it.

SILO also has direct access to itself from a web page. No Client is needed.

Silo gives unlimited free monthly trials if you email and ask.....their free rdp  app is both LIN or WIN compliant.

I also use Browserstack or KASM from TCL Vivialdi or TCL FF 67........so then your into a fully fledged Chromium session or whatever browser you like to run from a choice of about 10. The Sound and everything works fine. They are all unlimited free trials of cloud browsers.

SO in reality........ FF 67 on TCL or indeed the TCL Repo version of CHromium ....... may even work with the free Cloud services mentioned above (KASM, SILO  Browsestack) and then you can just about use whatever web browser you like on TCL

thanks

Vin

Hiro, your stories sound just like me with 20 year old Laptops and 128 megs of ram........and yes i appreciate that TCL is trying to span over 2 decades of computers which is insane.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:06:54 AM by vinceASPECT »

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »
Forum members,

Also you may be able to use other browsers that are NON SSE2 to your advantage and even NON SSE chips that are just IA 32 chips like Durons.

there are Seamonkey, FF and Palemoon.  The platforms are listed.

http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/pmxp/index.htm

http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/nosse2.htm   (towards the bottom there are SM 2.48 and FF 48.0.2...... and FLASH)

These all support Youtube and popular social web sites. Etc.  Via things like  "toogles".

Also they can support services like Cameyo so a user may get a free cloud server and install and run any tools they like.
They may also support sites such as "Kasm browser" or SILO browser or Browserstack" which will then allow you tun run any modern browsers that you care to run.

thx

Vin

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:27:11 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi vinceASPECT
... i tend to run browsers in a Ram drive .......even although this more modern machine here has an SSD. ...
That may be counterproductive. To what extent depends on how much RAM you have versus how much RAM is being demanded
by the OS (Operating System) and applications combined. Just a few things to consider:
1. Using a RAM drive means less RAM for applications, buffers, and caches.
2. The browser does not run in the RAM drive, it is stored there, just like with a mechanical hard drive.
3. When the browser starts, it will request the RAM it needs to run in. The browser is now occupying 2 large blocks of RAM instead of 1.
4. Browser startup time:
    A. The browser starts up faster, true. A one time benefit, but it's not free.
    B. Oh, but you paid for it in boot time when the computer copied it to the RAM drive. A one time cost.
    C. If you close the browser, the program is still cached in RAM, and will stay there if you have enough RAM that it is not needed
        elsewhere by the OS. As a result, the browser will start quickly the next time because it's still cached in RAM.
    D. I would suggest loading the browser from the SSD and let the OS manage your RAM.

... I sometimes use "free Cloud browsers" by dialing into them from an existing browser or rdp client...... since they are very fast compared to your local hardware and have zero HIT on your local hardware. ...
Don't kid yourself, there's always a cost. You just don't know what it is yet.

Facebook        We respect you privacy and never share anything about you with any 3rd party.
Photobucket    Free photo hosting. Until they changed their mind and tried to charge all their users $400 a year. 3rd party links that
                       normally displayed images directly instead displayed an image to visit their site to unlock your account.

Online vinceASPECT

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
Ok Rich,

well.....uh.........i see.  Perhaps i will follow your advice. The Laptop has 4 gig of ram.

Doing heavy web browsing via RDP has almost zero effect on the machines Cpu or Ram.  (Silo Authentic8)

Really enjoy using that.

Yes, these corporations are on the game for sure.  There is some particulalry disturbing stuff just come out about Facebook. Essentially non of your info on Facebook is in any way private. It can be used and shared and even used against you.  The laws were passed Yesterday i believe.

Yes.... 

Thanks for the advice then

V