WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to help TC?  (Read 7802 times)

Offline GNUser

How to help TC?
« on: July 05, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Hello, TC users and developers. I'd like to help TC in whatever way I can. But first a little introduction:

-----

My name is Bruno Dantas. I am a medical doctor (pathologist), father of 3 (so far), 41 years-old, dual citizen of Brazil and USA. I currently live in New Jersey, USA.

I used GNU/Linux on my personal laptop for 11 years. First Arch, then Debian, then Devuan. I have become increasingly minimalistic, tired of bloat, attracted to the idea of a sharp distinction between the base system and user add-ons. So for the past year I have been using OpenBSD on my personal laptop. Wife still uses Devuan and our netbook-turned-router will always use some variety of GNU/Linux (for networking, I am much more comfortable with Linux tools than OpenBSD tools).

Our netbook-turned-router was running Trisquel x86 but I realized it was WAY bloated for my taste. So two weeks ago I decided to try putting Tiny Core Linux on it...

After using OpenBSD for a year, I didn't think I would ever stumble upon a more elegant and minimalistic OS (especially in GNU/Linux land). I have to say that TC was a big surprise. I am floored that someone would even attempt building something so radically modular and minimalistic. Hats off to Robert Shingledecker. I am humbled by his creativity and daring. Some minds live on a higher plane.

I've been wanting to rave about TC ever since I found it, but wife doesn't want to hear it and my children are too little to understand. I feel better now ;)

-----

Now that I've properly introduced myself, back to the point. How can I help? I am an expert at shell scripting and general system administration of UNIX-like OSes. Fairly confident with compilation and packaging (I packaged newest openvpn and sort-of-packaged vbetool for my TC netbook-turned-router). I have working knowledge of python and perl programming, but am weak on compiled languages. I can also contribute financially. Please let me know how I can help.

-Bruno

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:18:36 AM by GNUser »

Offline ulfr

Re: How to help TC?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »

hi guys

i also am a tc fan
    and would like to help if i could
    not a coder though

how about something like linux mint has for donations etc

ulfr

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
Package the programs you use and send them to the repo. If you find something to improve in the base scripts, please do so. Then helping out other users on the forum and in general using TC.

We don't currently take donations, but we do appreciate the offer.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:29:15 AM »
Package the programs you use and send them to the repo.

How would one do that? I couldn't find directions in the wiki.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
Typically this involves installing compiletc.tcz onto your system.  But you may need more tools depending on what you want to do.

Some packages can even be cross-compiled from other systems.  I slacked and used Knoppix to compile the terminus-fonts package for instance since the running requirements were so simple.

Documentation:  as always, one way to help is to improve or keep existing faqs and wiki's up to date, or perhaps explained in a different way.  While one author might gloss over a subject, to another, a subject may need much more clarity.

Of course this means familiarity with the existing faqs, wiki, and the pdf / book that is still available.

Some great material is homegrown, such as this up to date way of making a custom kernel:

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/Linux/TinycoreCK.shtml

There's a lot out there, but finding it and validating it is um, part of the fun!

Welcome to TC!  As an aside, don't forget our close relative - dCore- found right here as well.  And Picore for our RPI friends...
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »
Hi GNUser
Package the programs you use and send them to the repo.

How would one do that? I couldn't find directions in the wiki.
Directions are here:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions
Of particular importance is the  submitqc.tcz  extension. The  submitqc  script will report and in many cases fix errors in packages.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:16 PM »
Thank you, Rich. That's exactly what I needed. My first contribution will be on its way soon.

Offline neonix

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:33 AM »
There are some extension I would like to have.

Dillo browser with SSL certificates support (32 and 64 bit)
Vivaldi browser (32 and 64 bit)
Chromium browser (32 and 64 bit)
Opera 12.16 (32 and 64 bit)
VirtualBox
Xash3D
SimpleScreenRecorder

There is also problem with xsetup. When I have installed Xvesa, Xfbdev and Xorg I want to chose one in xsetup menu.
There was also multi-language translation project. Is it steel alive?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 04:41:41 AM »
Hi neonix
... There was also multi-language translation project. Is it steel alive?
Check here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,7169.0.html

Offline GNUser

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »
I tried contributing a package to the repo exactly as specified in the wiki's "creating extensions" page. The page says to send a tarball to a specific gmail account. Alas, gmail rejected my email because Google deems tarballs to be "dangerous".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:42:01 PM by GNUser »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
Hi GNUser
Did you send a  .tar  or a  .tar.gz  as per the instructions?  You could also  bcrypt  the  .tar.gz  with the password  tinycore.

Offline xor

Tiny Core Linux »Tiny Core Extensions »TCE Talk » Extension requests >> http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/board,46.0.html

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 01:13:43 AM »
There are some extension I would like to have.
Chromium browser (32 and 64 bit)
There are already chromium extensions in both repos?

There is also problem with xsetup. When I have installed Xvesa, Xfbdev and Xorg I want to chose one in xsetup menu.
xsetup.sh is for Xvesa - "startx" will run whichever x server extension was installed most recently.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »
Rich, I sent a .tar.gz as per the instructions. I could try encrypting it, but that may only make our Google overlords more angry.

Should I simply put the .tar.gz in my file storage and email a link?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 04:46:27 AM »
Hi GNUser
At one time the Wiki stated you should encrypt it. Somewhere along the line someone decided it was unnecessary and stated
so in the Wiki. Anytime I send something to  tcesubmit _at_ gmail _dot_ com  I always encrypt it. My uninformed opinion is that
encrypting it ensures all Google sees is gibberish, and less likely to be caught up in one of their filtering algorithms. It's quite
possible Google looks inside the compressed tarball and sees some words it doesn't like, or gets a false positive on a virus
scan. Try encrypting to see if that helps. I'm sure our loving Google overlords won't mind. All hail Google. :)

PS: Also make sure you didn't exceed the maximum file size requirements. I think it's 25 Meg.