WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vbetool, newer openvpn  (Read 2379 times)

Offline GNUser

vbetool, newer openvpn
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
This is my first post. I recently discovered Tiny Core Linux and find it seriously beautiful and elegant. I think I'm in love :-*

I'm used to keeping a journal whenever setting up a GNU/Linux box, but TCL is so organized (boot codes in grub.cfg, add-on extensions in onboot.lst, config files in mydata.tgz, custom boot jobs in bootlocal.sh) that I did not keep a journal this time around. TCL is not only beautiful, it is self-documenting!

I'd rave some more, but want to get to the subject of the thread. I used TCL to convert an old EeePC netbook into a superstar wireless vpn router + sftp server + web server. Everything I needed was in the repo except for two things: A recent openvpn client (the one in repo is so old that many options in my vpn provider's .ovpn config file are not recognized) and vbetool to turn off the backlight after the netbook boots.

I rolled my own to fill in those two gaps. I'd like to share the product of my efforts here, in case it helps anyone.

openvpn  and  vbetool  are available in TC10 x86 repository.

Some notes on vbetool.run:
To turn backlight off:
Code: [Select]
# vbetool.run dpms offTo turn backlight on:
# vbetool.run dpms onTo unpack vbetool.run and see what's inside (vbetool binary, libpci.so.3, libx86.so.1):
$ ./vbetool.run unpackTo repack vbetool.run:
$ cd vbetool; ./pack
I often use these pack and unpack scripts to bundle executables and missing libraries into an executable, self-extracting tarball like this.

P.S.: The above are for the x86 architecture. Sorry for failing to mention this before.

[EDIT]: Altered link due to forum policy violation.  Rich
    [EDIT]: Link removed.  openvpn  and  vbetool  available in TC10 x86 repository.  Rich
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:07:54 PM by Rich »

Offline bela.d

Re: vbetool, newer openvpn
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm also trying to compile openvpn...

I tried to configure with:

./configure --disable-lzo --disable-lz4 --enable-small --disable-ofb-cfb
But it still fails with:

checking for lzo/lzoutil.h... no
checking lzoutil.h usability... no
checking lzoutil.h presence... no
checking for lzoutil.h... no
configure: error: lzoutil.h is missing

How did you configure and build openvpn?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »
Hi GNUser
You are not allowed to attach or post links to executables or extensions. I modified your link to allow others to visit your site
to download if they wish.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »
@Rich: No problem. Feel free to delete that post with a note that both latest openvpn and vbetool are now in the official x86 repository.

@bela.d: The latest openvpn is now in the x86 repository. If you are using a different architecture or want to compile it yourself for whatever reason, you first need to install the necessary dependencies. I don't know how to compile without lzo compression support, so I'd leave that in. These are the dependencies to compile for x86 (I assume the dependencies/package names are the same for other architectures):
$ tce-load -wi openssl-dev lzo-dev Linux-PAM-dev
Then it's a simple matter of:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ sudo make install

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:55:05 PM by GNUser »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
Hi GNUser
No need to delete the post. Link removed and notes added.