WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC & NVidia  (Read 24884 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: TC & NVidia
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
Hi
I think the Boot Manager like Grub2 cantrol the resolution from the beginning then pass the resolution to the kernel..?

SeventhSin

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2019, 01:56:07 PM »
Hi
I think the Boot Manager like Grub2 cantrol the resolution from the beginning then pass the resolution to the kernel..?

What I'm trying to achieve is reliably set-up the display @ native resolution. I think Grub2 is able to detect the native resolution of the screen and pass that to the KERNEL in the case of an UEFI boot.

Unfortunately I can't make use of that. Boot-wise, my requirements are:

a) IPXE boot-loader
b) support non-UEFI systems.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »
Hello
I think Grub2 can handle resolution with either EFI or legacy MBR based boot.  However the unknown is PXE ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeventhSin

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »
Hello
I think Grub2 can handle resolution with either EFI or legacy MBR based boot.  However the unknown is PXE ??

I am as certain as humanly possible that IPXE can't achieve that.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
Hello

I am as certain as humanly possible that IPXE can't achieve that.
Only one way to find out
[emoji12]

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Anyhow 32bit and 64bit NVIDIA extensions are complete, will upload to submissions ASAP

Awesome coreplayer2 !

What will I be looking for in the repo ? Something like nvidia-390.87-4.19.10-tinycore.tcz & friends ?
Both x86 and x86_64 repos have NVIDIA driver extensions now.  While I previously separated Cuda & OpenCL modules,  separating accelerated 3D GLX & OpenGL binaries for Xorg is still a work in progress.. 
when finished the kernel and Xorg modules will be:
nvidia-390.87-4.19.10-tinycore.tcz
nvidia-390.87-4.19.10-tinycore64.tcz

And significantly smaller (a 75% reduction is expected)
Until then you’ll get the full Xorg supporting binaries.  Im interested to know if all your Nvidia devices are supported?

Regards

Offline hiro

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
It is not possible for the proprietary Nvidia drivers to change the console resolution. That would require Nvidia to have a change of heart and release the drivers as open source.
I seem to disagree with the wishes of most people taking part of this thread...

In my opinion the console shouldn't switch to high resolutions for *any* graphics card.
Ever since this kms stuff got introduced there was nothing but problems.

additional reason: imagine you need to debug something where not even Xorg comes up any more, and you add a (low-resolution) monitor (let's say you are on some consumer device without serial line).

if you really want high resolution you're going to be using xorg anyway, please leave the console alone, so there's at least *something* left that works!

not like you guys are at fault here, i'd have to talk to the linux people, intel, amd. but just in case you have any reach or say, please keep it in mind. thank you :)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »
Hiro - I like the console too, so I know exactly where you are coming from..

And I'm lovin' life with only Xfbdev running full-resolution in X with Terminus bitmap fonts.  They look *great* at native resolution.

BUT, If I crash even the tiny-x server, and I want a better looking font for debugging, I'll reboot and use the "nomodeset" bootcode.  That usually results in a better looking console font for debugging.  Maybe not great, but big enough to be useful.  Or maybe just remove the graphics driver from onboot.lst

But back to Terminus - I never compiled the terminus-fonts.tcz with the ability to do console fonts - just the X server only.

Sooo ... in other systems where you may still be running at native resolution, but virtual terminal consoles basically are invisible, I like to add the terminus fonts package from their repos and set the console font

dpkg-reconfigure setconsolefont

Debian, Slackware, Raspbian etc etc similar and choose Terminus.  Now you can run at native res, but STILL have nice large good looking console fonts.

Unfortunately, I wasn't skilled enough to include console fonts in Terminus - maybe some other skilled user could take that on?  hint-hint :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:02:51 AM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

SeventhSin

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 03:32:32 AM »
additional reason: imagine you need to debug something where not even Xorg comes up any more, and you add a (low-resolution) monitor (let's say you are on some consumer device without serial line).

I can't help but wonder what are the odds for such an edge case to become manifest. Quite a number of "stars" need to align to make it possible:

a) some mega-issue pops its ugly head up
b) the device has no serial line
c) the device has no form of remote-ing available
d) the default monitor is unusable so that one needs to add
e) an ancient monitor that is so low resolution it is unusable due to high console resolution
f) the device can't be booted from from CD, USB or PXE, hence impossible to boot from another (Tiny)Core image and peek @ the logs and/or troubleshoot from there

Id does seem like a misuse of the imagination IMO.  :o
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:54:12 AM by SeventhSin »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
Well, a mega-issue to cause this can be done by moving, deleting or misconfiguring the location of your tce directory.  Which dumps you to the command prompt.

Although rebooting in even this borked condition for debugging the fix, the console fonts have some weird quirks - like doing a long dmesg listing - and having the screen scroll the file just half-way down the screen.

This is where rebooting with the
nomodeset
bootcode can come in handy.  Now you'll have the default vga font AND working the way one expects.

I think Hiro was facing the same dilemna as I was a few years ago when starting to use high-resolution screens, but now the virtual terminals are teensy-weensy.

The simplest solution is to just add a console-font to the system, like Terminus, (although the one in the apps repo is for x-only) and use a utility to set that font and size for the virtual consoles.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:45:26 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

SeventhSin

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »
The NVIDIA proprietary driver extension doesn't bump the screen resolution to native pre-X anyway.

xf86-video-intel was doing it by default and this thread http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,22991.0.html details why xf86-video-ati & xf86-video-radeon have been tweaked by Juanito to do the same. IMO there isn't any reason to worry.

Offline coreplayer2

TC & NVidia
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
The NVIDIA proprietary driver extension doesn't bump the screen resolution to native pre-X anyway.
More interesting to me is if the prop driver supports all your test hardware ?

SeventhSin

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »

I have a battery of tests planned for tomorrow morning. I will test your extension on all the hardware available and let you know.

SeventhSin

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 08:10:39 AM »

Core 10.1, testing on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 graphics card only machine, no other embedded VGA available.

tce-load -wi flwm_topside wbar mc nano pci-utils lxterminal Xorg-7.7-3d nvidia-390.87-4.19.10-tinycore

startx fails as expected, there is no Xorg.conf file available set-up for NVIDIA. Cool, maybe try and generate one:

sudo nvidia-xconfig => fail:

Code: [Select]
WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.
ps: invaild option --'c'

The above is followed by a bunch of BusyBox related gibberish, followed by:

sh: pkg-config: not found

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'

Installing pkg-config and the above becomes:

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing 'xorg-server.pc'.
No package 'xorg-server' found.

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'

I also tested on another machine with embedded graphics. Here I get X. Of course, launching the nvidia app leads to a pop-up suggesting to run nvidia-xconfig as root and restart X. Doing that leads to the same behavior as above, so no difference there.

Here's what I got up to now. Don't have more time to play with this until later this evening.

Suggestions & fixes welcome, of course.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:19:52 AM by SeventhSin »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
sudo nvidia-xconfig => fail:
Suggestions & fixes welcome, of course.

Great, but did you read all the install notes within the info file first?
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/nvidia-390.87-4.19.10-tinycore.tcz.info

In tinycore it is expected to read the extension info file before installing,  indeed it is the default action of tce-ab from the command line to view the "extension_name.info" file before installing

I have previously considered installing a generic /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if one didn't exist via the extension install file but am not sure a generic conf file would work an any scenario.. Which brings us back to the "On first install" routine.