WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Multiple FLWM desktop eventually merge  (Read 1555 times)

Offline PDP-8

Multiple FLWM desktop eventually merge
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:35:36 AM »
System:  TinyCorePure64 ver 10.1 release
Environment: UEFI-only, Xfbdev, fltk-full, terminus fonts if that matters.

Symptom: When using multiple flwm desktops, they seem to merge into one after switching between them back and forth about 3 or 4 times.

Test:  Thought maybe I needed the multivt-bootcode, but that bootcode didn't change behavior.

How to reproduce:
Call up an aterm and create another desktop.  Call up another terminal, utility or whatever in this secondary desktop.  Switch to the 1st one with only aterm.  Switch to the secondary desktop and switch back to the first.  Repeat about 3 times.  Eventually, the applications seem to all end up back on one of the desktops, and are no longer separated.  Additional desktops are now clear and the only option left is to delete it.

Not a showstopper obviously, but I do use multiple desktops in flwm at times.  Multivt bootcode didn't help.

I'm away from the machine, so I haven't had the chance to see if fltk-full may or may not be involved, or other systems like 32 bit.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline PDP-8

[SOLVED] Multiple FLWM desktop eventually merge
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
Update:

After a reboot today, multiple desktops are working fine.

Put shoe in mouth. :)  Might be my hardware - I've had the system balk at doing a backup on shutdown too when the backup device device path was set properly.

I'll dig in some more and see if it recurs.  But that was just weird.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:01:59 PM by PDP-8 »

Offline PDP-8

Re: Multiple FLWM desktop eventually merge
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »
SOLVED - Hilarious!

User:  "Hey it's happening again - get over here"
Me: "What, it works fine for me.  SHOW ME"

User was moving mouse just a few pixels to the right over an application on the other desktop in the menu, which brought it over.

Told user that when desiring to just switch desktops, to move the mouse well into the "desktop" menu area and click, and not just click on an application just to the right of it in the desktop menu.  A few pixels made all the difference. :)