WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC 4.1 remastering tinycore.gz problem  (Read 1961 times)

Offline AlejandroPadrino

TC 4.1 remastering tinycore.gz problem
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:05:11 AM »
Hello, I remastered tinycore.gz on TC 4.1.  Ezremaster does not run fine (.tcz app works and failed in scripts commands into remaster.sh file), and I do this task using cpio command.  The remastered TC 4.1 tinycore.gz file run fine and I only found a bug:  TC 4.1 boots only from root user.

How could I restore the default "tc" user at boot?

Thank you.   :-)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC 4.1 remastering tinycore.gz problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:04:27 AM »
Doublecheck the changes you made, compare permissions and ownership of the edited initrd archive with the shipped one. 4.1 is very old though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline AlejandroPadrino

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »
Hello Curaga,

wich command must I find for?  I'm not learned many about linux scripts.  Boot process is untouched.  Yes, TC 4.1 is many old.  I'm doing this task because TC 10.0 does not boot with custom configuration at onboot.lst file.  X system does not start.  Old, but X system starts with few things.

Thank you.  :-)

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
Hello Curaga,

wich command must I find for?  I'm not learned many about linux scripts.  Boot process is untouched.  Yes, TC 4.1 is many old.  I'm doing this task because TC 10.0 does not boot with custom configuration at onboot.lst file.  X system does not start.  Old, but X system starts with few things.

Thank you.  :-)
Hi, AlejandroPadrino!

I think the only reason to use previous versions of TinyCore is very old hardware, especially CPU not supported by newer kernels. From all others points of view it is better to use the latest version, if You run it on not very aged box. Memory consumption increased but very slightly, not closing any doors for user.

Can You
Code: [Select]
cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst
?

I think the right way is to make TC10 work.

Offline AlejandroPadrino

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »
Hello Jazzbiker,

TC 10 closes many doors to TC 4.1 apps.  But that is not important for me.  The use I want to do with TC is having a little recovery tool if my "daily" Linux fails.  Adding useful apps to TC 4 & TC 10 becomes to a 12GB compressed filesystem and too many RAM memory.  TC is more useful remaining like a "tiny" system for recovery purposes and applications testing.  I maked 2 releases of tinycore.gz, RAM memory requested with basic tools are 92MB and 192MB.  The bad side of this is when adding XFE as filemanager.  It is more useful and quick, but increases filesystem (not RAM) to 1GB.  Always booting in Live-OS mode.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:45:18 PM »
Hi AlejandroPadrino
... The bad side of this is when adding XFE as filemanager.  It is more useful and quick, but increases filesystem (not RAM) to 1GB. ...
Something sounds very wrong there.  XFE  including all of it's dependencies is under 8 megabytes.

Offline AlejandroPadrino

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:43 AM »
Hello Rich,

yes, the dependencies increase filesystem by other software.  :-)

Offline AlejandroPadrino

SOLVED: TC 4.1 remastering tinycore.gz problem
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »
The problem is solved and error was mine.  Copying same environment configuration files from /home/tc to /root folder for some programs I override /root/.profile file.  I see it comparing file contents.  Now boots fine.

Thank you to all.  :-)