WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: it will be a little utopian but; Is this possible !?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline xor

it will be a little utopian but; Is this possible !?
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »

Like windows operating system (windows explorer desktop)
Is it possible to use the firefox desktop graphics interface for linux !?

moreover; + webassembly

WebAssembly; all the compiled applications can be run through firefox.

Support for WebAssembly - The VideoLAN Forums >> https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=134614

more ; https://www.google.com/search?q=WebAssembly+WASM+Example+demo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:46:12 PM by xor »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: it will be a little utopian but; Is this possible !?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:49 PM »
Hi xor
... Like windows operating system (windows explorer desktop) ...
Do you mean like if you enter this in the address bar:
Code: [Select]
file:///home/tc/

Offline xor

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
Hi xor
... Like windows operating system (windows explorer desktop) ...
Do you mean like if you enter this in the address bar:
file:///home/tc/

to get rid of linux desktop library standards that have never been fully seated in linux to create a new desktop (user graphical interface) library standard

99% of users use a browser for firefox or similar internet access.

webassembly compiled codes in all operating systems
running on browser.

will be a webassembly version of many applications in the future

"exe" instead of "html":) this will be a standard.
It can be a new desktop standard

to be one of the first

can you create a TC11 project on this subject !?

Offline xor

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:07:23 AM »
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2007/07/experimental-pyro-project-offers-a-firefox-based-desktop-environment-for-linux/

http://www.linuxpedia.fr/doku.php/pyro

General presentation

What is Pyro?

What is Pyro?

Flickr Add-on
Flickr Add-on
Exposé in JavaScript
Exposé in JavaScript
Live Window Switching
Live Window Switching
Pyro is a new kind of desktop environment for Linux built on Mozilla Firefox. Its goal is to enable true integration between the Web and modern desktop computing.

By merging the Web with the desktop, Pyro offers the first big step toward a new future for the Web and the applications built for it. You can call it Web 3.0.

In Pyro, Web content is no longer confined to the browser's window. Instead, trusted Web sites and extensions are given access to the full range of interactivity and control enjoyed by native applications today.

Imagine...

Rich Web pages running side-by-side with native applications
Weby programming environment for the whole desktop
Desktop-wide mashups with killer Web integration
Novel desktop effects, using off-the-shelf JavaScript libraries
Pyro enables a desktop that tracks the latest in Web technology, and helps mold the future of the integrated Web.

How does it work?

Pyro works fundamentally by drawing your entire computer screen as a Web Page, all from within Firefox. At the core Pyro is a window manager which renders Web content alongside existing native applications.

By leveraging the trusted Firefox Add-On system, all the capabilities of dynamic HTML, JavaScript, CSS, SVG, and Adobe Flash are available to enable incredible applications, extensions and themes.

Bringing all these Web technologies together with the newest generation of Linux display technology, called window compositing, allows Pyro to integrate native applications as an intrinsic part of the overall Web Desktop, seamlessly merging the two.

Already advanced features like smooth OSX-style Exposé, live window switching, and animated window minimization are implemented using pure JavaScript.

News

July, 22 2007:

Pyro hits Slashdot! Hitcount for the home page jumps by ~40K.
From Ars Technica
From Ars Technica
July, 20 2007:

Pyro project offers Firefox-based desktop environment on Ars Technica, by Ryan Paul.
Pyro delivers Web apps to the Linux desktop on DesktopLinux.com.
Check out the slides!
Check out the slides!
July, 18 2007:

Pyro Announced during GUADEC '07 Conference Keynote Speech.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100626182331/http://pyrodesktop.org/Main_Page
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:37:09 AM by xor »

Offline xor

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:50:54 AM by xor »

Offline nick65go

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »
Hi, nice subject, but veni/vidi/vici (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni,_vidi,_vici aka I came/ I saw /I left). My personal opinion is below:
Almost everything is possible in linux :) but not by everyone.

to get rid of linux desktop library standards that have never been fully seated in linux to create a new desktop (user graphical interface) library standardWhy? What is the NEW purpose to "get rid" of a standard toolkits for common visual efects?
For very long time preferences in linux have diverged: GTK (1/2/3/4?) or Qt(1..5) or KDE, you name it...
My goal is KISS (keep it simple, stupid) for small size and speed gains. Other's goal is maybe beautiful colors /waste of resources (just because we have them, lets use them, consume more electricity, -distroy the planet-, pay more money for it, work more at job, less happy, die sooner. Does it seams familiar to you?)

99% of users use a browser for firefox or similar internet access.could you quote the sources for this?

and animated window minimization are implemented using pure JavaScript.
right, because java (interpreted language) is so faster than C (compiled language)?
And because we can do a lot of customization for the desktop in Java ( see 120 MB of XUL of firefox), versus tiny FLTK (less than 2 MB).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:06:47 AM by nick65go »

Offline xor

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
Hi, nice subject, but veni/vidi/vici (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni,_vidi,_vici aka I came/ I saw /I left). My personal opinion is below:
Almost everything is possible in linux :) but not by everyone.

to get rid of linux desktop library standards that have never been fully seated in linux to create a new desktop (user graphical interface) library standardWhy? What is the NEW purpose to "get rid" of a standard toolkits for common visual efects?
For very long time preferences in linux have diverged: GTK (1/2/3/4?) or Qt(1..5) or KDE, you name it...
My goal is KISS (keep it simple, stupid) for small size and speed gains. Other's goal is maybe beautiful colors /waste of resources (just because we have them, lets use them, consume more electricity, -distroy the planet-, pay more money for it, work more at job, less happy, die sooner. Does it seams familiar to you?)

99% of users use a browser for firefox or similar internet access.could you quote the sources for this?

and animated window minimization are implemented using pure JavaScript.
right, because java (interpreted language) is so faster than C (compiled language)?
And because we can do a lot of customization for the desktop in Java ( see 120 MB of XUL of firefox), versus tiny FLTK (less than 2 MB).

You are suggesting a 2mb table top,
I don't even recommend a desk,
have a web browser already used
No need on extra table,
you recommend resource waste! :)

Offline nick65go

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 03:36:04 AM »
So, to clean-up your confusion: we need a grafic server (X11, wayland etc), with/without a compositor (lets say without!) and a "manager of window's aplications" (FLWM, etc) and an internet browser (not necesary firefox!). The manager can be independent (as FLWM) or already integrated into browser.

So I assumed that you already wasted over 120 MB for firefox, and now you are concerned about an eventual extra 2 MB FLWM window's manager? right...

Because internet usefull is for:
- read text: Dillo, elinks
- download anything (with https); wget+dillo, fifth
- listen to music/ see video: youtube.dl, stream data to mplayer (vlc?) + 1000 codecs/decode of ffmpg
- play games online, wow...[f**k /censured!]

In summary, you asked, I expressed my opinion; now it's your task to convince someone (not me!) to build the system for you (for free, I think you do not intend to pay for it).
Maybe you missed the name "TINY" from tinycore linux title of this site. You are welcome to continue your pseudo-monolog. Thanks for the info, I'm out.

Offline xor

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:01:42 AM »
So, to clean-up your confusion: we need a grafic server (X11, wayland etc), with/without a compositor (lets say without!) and a "manager of window's aplications" (FLWM, etc) and an internet browser (not necesary firefox!). The manager can be independent (as FLWM) or already integrated into browser.

So I assumed that you already wasted over 120 MB for firefox, and now you are concerned about an eventual extra 2 MB FLWM window's manager? right...

Because internet usefull is for:
- read text: Dillo, elinks
- download anything (with https); wget+dillo, fifth
- listen to music/ see video: youtube.dl, stream data to mplayer (vlc?) + 1000 codecs/decode of ffmpg
- play games online, wow...[f**k /censured!]

In summary, you asked, I expressed my opinion; now it's your task to convince someone (not me!) to build the system for you (for free, I think you do not intend to pay for it).
Maybe you missed the name "TINY" from tinycore linux title of this site. You are welcome to continue your pseudo-monolog. Thanks for the info, I'm out.

English is not my main slice!
i am writing with google translation

philosophy of work; firefox is like a multimedia kernel
it makes no sense to compare 2mb to 100 mb in this respect,
because VLC already alone like 100 mb

In terms of the libraries it contains firefox, it can meet the need too much alone

yes, it is sensible to use 2 mb of the desktop just to carry the folder in a visual sense, but are the real needs limited?

how efficient in terms of energy consumption?

simply as an example; For 486 model PC, it makes sense to make a linux
but if you consider the energy consumption
PC systems running 100 times faster than the same power consumption; time and energy source is used more than 100 times.

old system fanaticism can be a culture.
but it does not benefit much of the ecosystem on earth.

as for size ; even other linux distributions that contain only firefox
2gb iso installation takes place between 5gb and 20gb hdd

firefox is very nice to remain within 100 mb

tiny mean; 1.44 mb magnetic reader is not a disc subject.

the smallest sd-cart 4gb tan not down! :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:05:10 AM by xor »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 02:53:37 AM »
Xor - from what you describe I don't think TC is for you.  I'd look into the SLAX distro, which centers mostly around the browser, although you can bloat that up too if you like.

Off the shelf: get a Chromebook / box / base.  Load the linux subsystem.  Run Firefox that way.

Power consumption - if that's your bag, run one of the ARM distros for SBC's.  Raspberry Pi comes to mind, but there are others.  You may want to try PiCore, available right here.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth