WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Network Browsing via GUI  (Read 7457 times)

Offline SamK

Re: Network Browsing via GUI
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
This sounds good and promising.

Are you intending to add your app to the TC3 repository with a status of testing or is it available for download from your web site?

Additionally do you want to establish some form of testing parameters or are you OK with simply receiving feedback?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
I would like to contribute it to the repository after some initial testing in a few network environments
besides my own. I'm afraid I do not have a web site.

I'm just looking for some simple testing. Does it discover all the shares on your network. I have tested
against Win98, Windows XP, and Samba running on TC and Debian. If someone could test against
Vista and Windows 7, that would help. While I think it will work, I do not have wireless, so testing that
would also help. If the program encounters a non-fatal error it will spit out the line number of the error
and continue listing shares. I need the line numbers and any info you feel may be relevant to help me
figure out what happened.  The other thing I need is the core file if you get the program to print out
a  signal 11  message and gzip the core file and email it to me.

Once I'm satisfied that the CLI version is running correctly I plan to re-use the bulk of the code for a
GUI version for mounting shares.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:51:32 AM by Rich »

Offline gmc

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »
@Rich - did you ever develope a GUI for finding/mounting network shares?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 07:29:05 PM »
Hi gmc
No, but I did write a command line program that scans your LAN for both Windows and NFS shares called  findshares.  It scans
from all the network cards it finds in your computer. There's a thread if you want to read more about it here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16735.0.html#top

Offline gmc

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
Hi Rich -- I have enjoyed using findshares, thank you for writing that code.  I just stumbled acros the post from way back in time that said you were planning on writing a GUI from the findshares code.  I thought that after all these many years you might have gotten it done.  But I certainly would not want to see you rush into anything hasty.  Seriously though, I suspect you are way too busy helping hapless users like me figure out how TC works to ahve time to spend on projects like that.  Too bad Nautilus can't browse network shares, that would take care of my needs rather nicely.

Anyawy, have a great day!