WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Skype outdated and cannot connect  (Read 8411 times)

Offline julcar

Skype outdated and cannot connect
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »
One of the things that I most use on windows is Skype, my business depends on it and is a needed on my environment...
I tried to run the Skype version available on TCL's repo but it is very very old and outdated, even to get connected to Skype servers  :-\
If any one could update Skype to last version (or at least to a version compatible) I would be gratefully joy

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Skype outdated and cannot connect
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
Did you try the getskype extension?

Offline julcar

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:07:24 AM »
Did you try the getskype extension?

Of course, getskype.tcz creates skype.tcz, no problem with that...

But, the Skype version downloaded is really old (even older than Microsoft purchase, though) and is unable to get connection to Skype servers, maybe you know something that I do not, but if you find a way to get skype.tcz working please tell me.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:25:51 AM »
Maybe modifying the getskype script is the way to go - I cannot help as skype and skype url's are blocked here.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
Hi julcar
If you are running 32 bit you may have a problem. Near as I can tell, Skype is only available in 64 bits now. You could look into
Skype for web,  though that requires you to run  Chrome (or maybe Chromium)  browser according to:
https://web.skype.com/

Offline julcar

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
Hi julcar
If you are running 32 bit you may have a problem. Near as I can tell, Skype is only available in 64 bits now. You could look into
Skype for web,  though that requires you to run  Chrome (or maybe Chromium)  browser according to:
https://web.skype.com/

Do you mean that switching to corepure64 could allow me install skype for linux?
thanks

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
You would probably need to figure out which is the most recent version for linux, download and install it and then adjust it to work with CorePure64.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Here’s some useful information about installing the latest Skype for Linux
https://linuxhint.com/skype-arch-linux/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline julcar

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
You would probably need to figure out which is the most recent version for linux, download and install it and then adjust it to work with CorePure64.

Right now I am setting up a dCore64 in a vm to test the deb package from skype, any problem I will post here

Offline julcar

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 02:33:02 AM »
Taking again this topic...

I tried to download the .deb file supplied by skype

also installed a tinycore pure 64 in a vm

with windows help I was able to uncompress and squash the skype deb file into a tcz extension

but I have 2 problems

doing a ldd to the skype binary, I could download and install the dependencies except one, for some reason skype is looking for libgconf-2.so.4 which I am unable to find in the TCL repos

the second trouble is about where to run skype, they supply a .desktop file but I don't know where to put it, also there is a script installed in /usr/bin but running it has no response in the console

for the missing library I found this http://ftp.ee.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gconf/libgconf-2-4_3.2.6-4+b1_amd64.deb I tried to squash this too but without success.

Offline julcar

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 02:50:52 AM »
Well, first trouble fixed with help of this post: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21919.msg141607.html#msg141607

second trouble still...

running sudo skypeforlinux on console does nothing

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »
gconf has been depreciated in favour of dconf for years - you must have chosen an old version of skype.

desktop files go in /usr/local/share/applications - it would be a good idea to check the "exec" line in skype.desktop to see how skype should be started.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I would have thought it would be easier to get the most recent version of skype for linux from the skype website and install that?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:16:08 AM by Juanito »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 06:06:31 AM »
Hmm - I got hold of what looks to be the latest skypeforlinux (8.x) and, although it depends on gtk3, it also depends on gconf.

Since gconf is from gnome-2.x, it looks like this has been done specifcally to make things difficult for linux users...

Offline julcar

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »
gconf has been depreciated in favour of dconf for years - you must have chosen an old version of skype.

desktop files go in /usr/local/share/applications - it would be a good idea to check the "exec" line in skype.desktop to see how skype should be started.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I would have thought it would be easier to get the most recent version of skype for linux from the skype website and install that?

You can be sure that I am using the latest skype binary from skype website.

here is the extract from skypeforlinux.desktop

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Skype
Comment=Skype Internet Telephony
Exec=/usr/bin/skypeforlinux %U
Icon=skypeforlinux
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=Skype
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Network;Application;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/skype;
X-KDE-Protocols=skype
Actions=QuitSkype;

and here is what looks the launcher script in /usr/bin

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
USR_DIRECTORY=$(readlink -f $(dirname $SCRIPT)/..)

SKYPE_PATH="$USR_DIRECTORY/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux"
SKYPE_LOGS="$HOME/.config/skypeforlinux/logs"

mkdir -p $SKYPE_LOGS

nohup "$SKYPE_PATH" --executed-from="$(pwd)" --pid=$$ "$@" > "$SKYPE_LOGS/skype-startup.log" 2>&1 &

Offline andyj

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
I made a copy of gconf for TCL 8.x a while back to get chrome working. You can try this one: http://www.asjohnson.com/tinycorelinux/8.x/x86_64/test/GConf.tcz