WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: kernel 4.19.10 and intel video driver  (Read 4651 times)

Offline alexo

kernel 4.19.10 and intel video driver
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
Hi forum,

I first noticed this problem on tinycorelinux 9.0 but it get worse on tiny core 10.

If I load onboot the intel video drivers - which of course need xorg - I have to wait about 60 seconds before the window manager GUI starts after having loaded all the booting extensions. But this is just one part of the story.
Every program launched through the wbar icon takes about 30 second to show up, freezing the mouse and the wbar zooming animation (strangely this doesn't happen with xterm or with an ondemand program. In theese last cases the response is immediate).

On tiny core 9.0 the amount of the time elapsed between the clic on a wbar icon and the corresponding program being launched was of about 8 seconds.

To avoid this annoying problem, I use the xorg's vesa video drivers, but this prevents me to suspend to RAM because with this video driver, the computer resumes back with a black screen.

I think this is a problem of the newer kernel versions and the intel video drivers because with other linux distros - namely, debian 9.0, ubuntu 18.10, mint 19 and trisquel 8.0, I got a similar problem, similar in that it was just the booting process to be extremely slow. taking more than 5 minutes

My laptop is a 10 years old Acer aspire 5315.
I run trisquel linux 8.0 - installed on the HD and TinyCore 10 from a USB stick.

I don't exactly remember how I speeded up the booting process with trisquel linux, sorry.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: kernel 4.19.10 and intel video driver
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
Maybe Xorg.0.log has some info? You could try to disable acceleration in xorg.conf (see man intel), or with the vesa driver, there are some suspend utils that may help.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:37 PM »
The xf86-video-intel driver has not had a finalised version for several years now - it is still required for use with libva, opencl and others, but for normal use you could try the modesetting driver (without graphics-KERNEL) included with xorg-server.

In my case with intel hd4400 graphics, suspend works the same with or without xf86-video-intel.

Using the kernel suspend, everything works except that the usb stick I booted from is not re-mounted at the same place.

Using the gnome-session suspend, everything works, but I wouldn't recommend this level of bloat.

Offline alexo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I tried to boot with xf86-video-intel but I got these messages:

*ERROR* [CRTC:34:pipe A] flip_done timed out
*ERROR* [CONNECTOR:50 SVIDEO-1] flip_done timed out
*ERROR*[CRTC:41:pipe B]flip_done timed out
*ERROR*[CRTC:41:pipe B]flip_done timed out

and then the boot process hangs.
The SVIDEO-1 token reminded me that to speed up booting with Trisquel
8.0 someone told me to add the words:

video=TV1:d video=SVIDEO-1:d

to the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

in the file /etc/default/grub

and then run

sudo update-grub

that solved the problem even if I didn't understand what that means.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
Hi alexo
... The SVIDEO-1 token reminded me that to speed up booting with Trisquel
8.0 someone told me to add the words:

video=TV1:d video=SVIDEO-1:d ...
Open the bootloaders config file on your USB stick. Find the line that contains the word  quiet.  Append:
Code: [Select]
video=TV1:d video=SVIDEO-1:dto the end of that line. Save, reboot, and see if that helped.

Offline alexo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Hi Rich,

yes!! I've added that line in the extlinux.conf file right after "quiet" and now everything is ok.
The drivers works perfectly and FAST.

Problem solved.

Thanks