WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Serial transfer with embedded Kermit  (Read 1774 times)

Offline kmhill

Serial transfer with embedded Kermit
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
Hello folks;

In the process of struggling with how to transfer files through the serial COM port I discovered E-Kermit.

I have TeraTerm v4.95 (May 31, 2017) on my Win7 machine, for which things work with the Z-modem commands lrz and lsz provided in the lrzsz.tcz extension. But with TeraTerm on the Win10 machines in the lab, lrz on the RasPi-0W tends to lock up. I tried several command line options, without any luck and decided to not pursue that.

The next format I considered is Kermit. Turns out that Kermit is now open-source and has a spin-off called embedded Kermit (E-Kermit), which supports only file transfer.

http://www.kermitproject.org/ek.html

With the compiletc.tcz extension loaded, E-Kermit builds easily. The Core book has an outline of how to make an extension, so I'll get to making and sending one in, but for now, I've just copied the resulting executable named ek to the .local/bin folder.

So far I've only been sending and receiving short text files, which is not a stress test. In sending a file from the RasPi-0W, a few seconds is needed for E-Kermit and TeraTerm to start the transfer. But so far, this is a good step.

Cheers;