WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A Newbie's post-installation issues  (Read 1403 times)

Offline stroudmw

A Newbie's post-installation issues
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:50 AM »
I've just  done a frugal installation of Tinycore Plus 10 to the hard drive of an old laptop and I've got a few queries:

- Before I started the installation, I had a clean, newly-formatted hard disk, including a 0.5GiB swap partition at /dev/sda2. However, when I type in "free -m" It tells me that I have  total swap space of 674 MiB. How have I managed this? I only have 688MiB RAM to begin with. Fdisk tells me that /dev/sda2 is a 511M linux swap partition, but Tinycore doesn't appear to be using it. At least, I don't think so.

- I've done a few "local" App installations (I have internet issues, so I download the .tcz files and copy them to my Tinycore laptop) but they don't seem to "stick". The Opera Browser disappears at reboot and I need to reinstall it.

- I've tried (without success) to install a file manager. I tried PCManFM (pcmanfm.tcz) as I know it to be lightweight. However, I appear to be getting into dependency hell. Is there a recommended file manager?

I haven't even attempted codecs and a music player (hopefully deadbeef) yet. Baby steps...

Thanks so much!
Cheers, Mike

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: A Newbie's post-installation issues
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 04:46:28 AM »
If you created a linux swap partition, tinycore will use it when it needs to - you can disable the use of the swap partition with the "noswap" boot code.

Using tinycore without an internet connection will be relatively painful - at least until you have local copies of all the extensions (and their recursive dependencies) that you usually use.

If by "they don't seem to "stick"", you mean that the icon is not displayed on reboot, then you need to use the apps gui to add, for example, opera9 to your onboot.lst or ondemand.lst.

There are many file managers to choose from - for a minimum number of dependencies, you could use emelfm, which needs only glib1 and gtk1.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:48:05 AM by Juanito »

Offline Pats

Re: A Newbie's post-installation issues
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »
Quote by stroudmw :
... I've done a few "local" App installations (I have internet issues, so I download the .tcz files and copy them to my Tinycore laptop) but they don't seem to "stick". The Opera Browser disappears at reboot and I need to reinstall it.
... Pl read about Persistant install and Backup option from wiki or better read *Into the Core* book :
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

... I've tried (without success) to install a file manager. I tried PCManFM (pcmanfm.tcz) as I know it to be lightweight. However, I appear to be getting into dependency hell. Is there a recommended file manager?

...For me, Midnight Commander - mc is the best FM. But dont know , if it is available in TC10.0 repo !

.. Best Luck ! :)