WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: install a web browser with an internet connection  (Read 7811 times)

Offline stroudmw

install a web browser with an internet connection
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:15:59 AM »
Hello,

I downloaded and installed Tiny Core onto a very old Acer Aspire laptop this morning. Sadly, it has neither wifi nor (working) ethernet, so I'd like to use an old Vodafone "dongle". However, I need a web browser to log into the dongle, and then connect.

So, how can I install a web browser without an internet connection? I don't really care which browser - as long as it's reasonably lightweight (eg, Qupzilla, Palemoon, Seamonkey, etc).

Thanks!

Offline stroudmw

Re: install a web browser with an internet connection
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:23:50 AM »
I should point out that I've installed CorePlus-current.iso. I donloaded it today (6 Feb 2019). Thanks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi stroudmw
Download  opera9.tcz  onto a thumb drive. At 9 megabytes and with no dependencies I'd rate that as reasonably lightweight. You
didn't mention which version of Tinycore you installed so here is the link for 10.x:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/opera9.tcz
Plug the thumb drive into your Acer and mount it. Then copy  opera9.tcz  to  /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional
Click on the  Apps  icon and then  Apps->Load App Locally. Select  opera9.tcz  and click  Load. When it's done you should have
an  Opera  icon at the bottom of the screen.

Offline stroudmw

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:42:45 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply! I shall give that a try.

I've actually found a way to connect: I just need to connect that modem using another laptop, then plug it in before booting up Tiny Core!

But your solution is much more elegant!