WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Need help with PI Camera  (Read 2177 times)

Offline hitchdiddy

Need help with PI Camera
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
Hey all,

today I've read about tinyCore Linux in a blogpost and I had to try it out. So far I was amazed by the speed of the OS (I want to build a small Camera and therefore I need a slim Linux).

However, I couldn't get the PiCam running. There seems to be much obsolete information in the internet about how you can get it work.

Code: (bash) [Select]
tce-load -wi rpi-vc
sudo chmod 777 /dev/vchiq

I've read a few blog posts, like http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=17903.0 but can't get it working.

sudo raspistill -w 100 -h 100 -o /tmp/out.jpg
produces:
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo raspi-config" and ensure that "camera" has been enabled

In the posts, people edited a file /boot/config.txt (append some lines there), but this file wasn't there in my Intallation of piCore. I created it and add the lines they suggested, but it seemed to have no effect.

Is there a solution? I really want to get it working, it would be so cool!

Best regards
Chris

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Need help with PI Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »
Hi hitchdiddy
... In the posts, people edited a file /boot/config.txt (append some lines there), but this file wasn't there in my Intallation of piCore. ...
From the  README  file found here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/armv6/releases/RPi/
SD card partitioning
====================

First partition, mmcblk0p1 is VFAT type; it contains the basic piCore
system and the Raspberry Pi boot loader, firmware and other support
files. Partition is unmounted during operation, system is not using it
after boot and never writes.

Try mounting  mmcblk0p1  and check it for  /boot/config.txt.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

Offline hamak

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:31:05 AM »
Did you edit this?
------------------------
sudo nano /mnt/mmcblk0p1/config.txt   ### At bottom of file after [ALL] add these lines like this
[ALL]
#Enable camera
start_x=1
 gpu_mem=128

Hey all,

today I've read about tinyCore Linux in a blogpost and I had to try it out. So far I was amazed by the speed of the OS (I want to build a small Camera and therefore I need a slim Linux).

However, I couldn't get the PiCam running. There seems to be much obsolete information in the internet about how you can get it work.

tce-load -wi rpi-vc
sudo chmod 777 /dev/vchiq

Did you edit this?
------------------------
sudo nano /mnt/mmcblk0p1/config.txt   ### At bottom of file after [ALL] add these lines like this
[ALL]
#Enable camera
start_x=1
 gpu_mem=128

I've read a few blog posts, like http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=17903.0 but can't get it working.

sudo raspistill -w 100 -h 100 -o /tmp/out.jpg
produces:
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo raspi-config" and ensure that "camera" has been enabled

In the posts, people edited a file /boot/config.txt (append some lines there), but this file wasn't there in my Intallation of piCore. I created it and add the lines they suggested, but it seemed to have no effect.

Is there a solution? I really want to get it working, it would be so cool!

Best regards
Chris