WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: virtual machines  (Read 6302 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

virtual machines
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
Hello forum,

Has anybody tried to successfully run VM's such as a tinycore VM inside Msofts  "Hyper V"  while
the Linux VM also has full sound capability?

If so, how did you do it and can you please tell me.

My research seams to suggest that the above is NOT directly possible. The reason it's not possible seems to be
because Hype V is a type one bare metal hypervisor....and is different from VMware and others in respect
of that. Msoft have never implemented it.

What i DID however learn is that it is
possible to share USB devices between Win HOSTS to Linux VM's.  The shared devices can be anything including
usb audio cards.  So i wanted to try that.

There are various solutions out there and they are software based. I have found a free solution
and wondered if anybody had heard of it or tried it.  It's TWO pieces of software. A tool for your
win host machine and a separate tool for your Linux VM.  It uses RDP to pass through the USB devices and thus eventually you get SOUND capability in your Linux VM.

They work in the sense that the VM has virtual ETHERNET..... it's called the "default switch" that you give to all your VM;s.  This Dswitch then senses the real ethernet socket of the real host machine running Hyper V. That real host machine also has real USB devices plugged into it. They are then shared over these tools below.

https://www.incentivespro.com/downloads.html

1) USB redirector client (for host win machine)  free
2) USB redirector for Linux (For the Linux VM)  free

i wonder if it could be installed into a TCL VM.

thx V

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:50:44 PM by vinceASPECT »

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: virtual machines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:18:19 PM »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
ahh...... my ORDERING is wrong earlier....

iThe 2 tools needed are

1) USB Redirect RDP  (that is the server part in Hyper V) 15 day trial......
2) USB redirect Linux (This is run in client mode in Linux) free

but i have a way around 1)....via timeFreeze  (for continually using trials)

While these softwares don't look easy to use....they indeed DO work exactly as stated.

For example, it's totally free to re-direct ALL TYPES of USB devices from MS machines to MS VM's with the free tools above...... Hyper V does not currently have native support to do that....it can ONLY redirect certain TYPES of USB devices in enhanced session mode..... of which Audio USB cards and many other devices are not supported.

In terms of MS machines to Linux VM's.....again, the tools above will re-direct all types of USB devices in either direction.....where-as Hyper V does not natively support ANY of that style of MS to Lin USB device re-directing. (or vice versa)

V

Offline andyj

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 04:49:59 AM »
Sound works fine from VMware Workstation and Player VM's. MP3's and videos on web pages, so yes it's possible.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:46:59 AM »
andy...i know sound and stuff is passed through and redirected from Hosts to Vm's in such as VMWARE and virtualbox..........also they support re-directing of USB devices.  EVen between MS hosts and Linux VM's or vice versa.

However HYPER V on Msoft platform does NOT do any of this re-directing when you are going from MS Hosts to Linux VM's or the other way around.............HYPER V only supports sound etc with MS hosts to MS Vm's....and it only supports certain USB devices via "enhanced mode" (audio USB cards and USB cameras etc are NOT supported)..

THese tools i mention above get around those HYPER V limitations.

i want to use HYPER V because it is so much better in respect of the fact it's a Level ONE bare metal server.....unlike VMware etc are level TWO servers.

thanks

V
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:49:37 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »
https://www.incentivespro.com/hyper-v-usb.html

https://www.incentivespro.com/cross-platform-usage-client.html

it is all there.....the theory is all also true for virtual Ethernet (Default Switch) that you have in your Linux Client VM's on Hyper V....(host windows machine USB server)

V

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:13:39 PM by vinceASPECT »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »
Hi all.

i found another FREE tool to allow sharing of connected USB devices on a windows machine....with Linux VM's running in Hyper-V.

"virtualhere"

The trial isn't locked or timed but it only allows ONE usb device to be shared at any one time between Windows Host and Linux VM.....(or vice versa...or Macs/Lin etc)

The Linux Client of "virtualhere" is completely free to run as a Linux GUI and not as a Linux service.
The free windows "virtualhere" server just runs on windows as a GUI.

When it says shared , i  think it actually DOES mean that both the windows machine and the Linux VM can both use the physically connected USB device in question "at the same time"....although i am not totally certain of that. It may be one of the other.

THe only requirement for "virtualhere" to work is that the Linux distro in question has "usbip" compiled in it's Kernel.  Does TCL have that?

"virtualhere" .. also offers a cloud version, so that your cloud machines with AWS  can all see local usb devices on your local desktop machine and use them.

thx

Vin

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:29:21 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 12:23:26 AM »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 12:35:14 AM »
THanks Juanto....i will try to get this "virtualhere" working.........

so "m" is MODE is it?.....meaning it IS functional?

the Linux GUI of the "virtualhere USB Client" tool is a free download but then it would need to be made into a tcz.

The "virtualhere windows USB Server" is just a free download.

But i think you could also use "dCore" which may indeed have the "virualhere" tool in the Ubuntu or Debian repos right away.

All USB devices are supported via this tool....... Camera's , soundcards, mice, microphones etc

thx

V
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:47:48 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 02:28:18 AM »
"m" means "module", i.e. it is not compiled into the kernel - the usbip-core and usbip-host modules are in the tinycore base

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
so as modules, how could one use them?....must i have them compiled into the Kernel and is that a lot of trouble?

is "usbip" functional for usage?  ("not compiled" seems to point to the fact it's not functional)

thx

V
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:55:43 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 04:02:35 AM »
"compiled into the kernel" means included in vmlinuz for use in the boot process.

"compiled as a module" means available separately for use after boot.

Many modules will load themselves when required. If not, "sudo modprobe module_name" will usually fix things.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 04:14:55 AM »
Juanto thanks......i think i see what you mean.

I should load the "usbip_core" module after boot and it will become operational.....right

thx

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 04:16:03 AM »
affirmative