WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Laptop screen stops working after resuming from suspend  (Read 2491 times)

Offline NinjaCowboy

Laptop screen stops working after resuming from suspend
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
I'm trying to get Tiny Core usable on my Asus EEEPC 1000HD netbook. One of the things that I consider a must-have for laptops is to be able to close the lid and have the OS suspend to RAM (aka "sleep" or "standby") to save power. I can suspend to RAM writing "mem" to /sys/power/state using this command:
Code: [Select]
echo -n 'mem' > /sys/power/stateHowever, when I try to resume, my display is completely dead. The keys work, since I can press the up key to scroll back through shell history and run the command again, but I can't see anything whatsoever. This happens both in text mode console and in Xvesa, so I doubt it's an X issue. Any way to find out what's going wrong?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Laptop screen stops working after resuming from suspend
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Hi NinjaCowboy
Maybe this is of some use:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21155.msg132196.html#msg132196
You can find more results if you go to the search page:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?action=search
and enter  resume suspend  as the search terms and set the search order to  Most recent topics first.

Offline NinjaCowboy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »
Ok, it seems that installing the graphics extension solved that problem. I also had to switch to Xvesa instead of Xorg, since Xvesa would garble everything up. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the filesystem getting corrupted when I resume from suspend. It keeps getting marked as dirty and gets mounted read-only when resuming. Eventually, it got corrupted to the point where I can no longer boot. :(

Offline Pats

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:05:31 AM »
..It keeps getting marked as dirty and gets mounted read-only when resuming. Eventually, it got corrupted to the point where I can no longer boot

May be following can be helpful :
1) Suspend and resume use facilities within your BIOS called ACPI, or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. Linux provides an ACPI subsystem that manages the suspend and resume process. Usually problems occur when resuming, and normally the culprit is a device driver that does not recover from a powered down state. If your computer successfully performs a suspend, 
2)   downgrade it to kernel 3.1.4 in order to work successfully.
 3) fsfreeze - suspend access to a filesystem (Linux Ext3/4, ReiserFS,
 4) File System Inconsistent when Battery Runs Out During Suspend 

.... Search with abv clues for more details on Arch and Slack sites.

Offline NinjaCowboy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
I'm almost afraid to try getting suspend to work now. I didn't know the Linux kernel had such serious power management bugs.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
Or your BIOS/EFI, or your GPU BIOS, or any number of other components :P For Windows the manufacturer makes sure to work around everything.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline NinjaCowboy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
Does fsfreeze work with FAT32 partitions? My USB drive is formatted FAT32 so that Windows can read it.

If I was designing a kernel, I'd make sure that all data on a removable file system is committed before cutting power to those drives and suspending the system.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:32:23 AM »

May be following can be helpful :
1) Suspend and resume use facilities within your BIOS called ACPI, or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. Linux provides an ACPI subsystem that manages the suspend and resume process. Usually problems occur when resuming, and normally the culprit is a device driver that does not recover from a powered down state.

.... Search with abv clues for more details on Arch and Slack sites.

perhaps something in nbigaouette/acpi-eeepc-generic could provide some insight

the readme mentions 
---
* Helper scripts for:
          o Suspend to ram
---
( acpi-eeepc-generic-suspend2ram.sh )

Offline Pats

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
By mocore :
 ...perhaps something in nbigaouette/acpi-eeepc-generic could provide some insight the readme mentions  ---* Helper scripts for:          o Suspend to ram---( acpi-eeepc-generic-suspend2ram.sh )
...Since I mostly use desktop, I dont have to do all these tricks of power saving. But while experimenting some years back on a friends laptop using Slack , we had to deal with quite a few experiments with :
1) Different DEs
2) Policykit - polkit
3) Login as root and non-root user
 4) Many times fresh installs to get rid of leftover files ... and so on. Interested users can find some help with a search on :
linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/suspend-to-ram-as-no-root-user
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:35:34 PM by Pats »