WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Building kernel with TinyCore patches  (Read 10101 times)

Offline andyj

Re: Building kernel with TinyCore patches
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 03:12:59 PM »
There is a "make modules_install MOD_INSTALL_PATH=/path/to/where/you/want/them" that you will need to run also, but follow the instructions in the sorter.sh file from github to make the canonical module extensions. Otherwise you can add modules to the existing rootfs initrd or make your own modules initrd, which is probably what you want anyway.

Offline christully

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Thank you Andy,

I will check into this tomorrow

Offline christully

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
And more question. I am not familiar with the GitHub repo that has sorter.sh. I’ll do a search tomorrow but that is such a short name that I anticipate lots of hits and not necessarily finding the one you have in mind.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
Hi christully
I think this might be it:
https://github.com/tinycorelinux/sorter

Offline andyj

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 07:12:56 PM »
Sorter.sh: https://github.com/tinycorelinux/sorter/blob/master/sorter.sh. If you haven't already discovered, the initrd images are in cpio format, so you will need to create a temporary directory and cd to it, zcat /path/to/existing/rootfs.gz | sudo cpio -i, add the files, then "sudo find . | sudo cpio -o -H newc | gzip > /path/to/new/initrd.gz" file and add it to extlinux.conf.

Offline christully

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for all of your help!!!

I think I would have twigged to the Clio bit fairly quickly but thanks for the heads up.

And thanks for the link.

Chris

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 01:16:47 AM »
"Continuously reboots back to syslinux screen" - at what point does it reboot? If it reboots before you see TC messages (the colored ones saying version 6, running udev, etc etc), then your issue is not the lack of modules. In that case it would be an incompatibility with the hw, and their kernel is probably modified to support their hw better.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline christully

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »
I have 3 options on my boot menu. If I pick the one pointing to my new kernel, I never see any messages. It just redisplays the boot menu and restarts the countdown timer.

I have it set to wait 30 seconds and then automatically pick a profile that points to the PCEngines supplied kernel and a user level login.

Offline christully

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Correction!

I see two messages:
Loading vmlinuz.new... ok
loading core.gz...

And then it goes back to the boot menu.

Offline christully

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
I tried to edit my last post but it seems I waited too long... Scrolling through my console history I noticed I left off one line of output:

Code: [Select]
Loading vmlinuz.new... ok
Loading core.gz...ok
Booting kernel failed: Invalid argument

Offline christully

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
As I have learned more and more about Linux while trying to figure out how to compile TC for my APU, I have discovered that doing so is not necessary.

I have a file on the APU named "overlay" which i mistakenly assumed was an overlayfs file. I have discovered with the help of a colleague and using the file command that it is an ext4 filesystem and have successfully mounted and edited it on my working copy of TC 6.4!

Thanks to all for your help here - I have learned a lot in this process and that has helped me get where I am today with my project!

Chris