WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Deleting getFlash.tcz (or flash.tcz?) deletes aterm.tcz  (Read 1755 times)

Offline thane

Deleting getFlash.tcz (or flash.tcz?) deletes aterm.tcz
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
Not quite sure what happened, but when I deleted getFlash.tcz and flash.tcz, aterm.tcz was also deleted. The issue may be that aterm.tcz is installed as part of initial setup, but is not actually listed as a dependency in any of the .md5 files. Since it is listed as a dependency for getFlash.tcz (and Flash?) deleting these may cause aterm.tcz to be deleted also. Just guessing...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Deleting getFlash.tcz (or flash.tcz?) deletes aterm.tcz
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:06:04 AM »
How did you delete the getFlash and flash extensions?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »
Hi thane
When removing applications, it pays to look at what dependencies are listed to be removed. If you removed an app that
depended on aterm.tcz, and none of the other installed apps depends on it, aterm is removed. Even though aterm can
be used by itself, the  Apps  utility (or command line equivalent) doesn't know that.

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
".md5 files". Meant .dep files of course, it's been a while since I played around with this!

Yes, I agree the issue is a result of aterm.tcz being a dependency of getFlash and not being in any other .dep file that would prevent it from being deleted. I used the app delete function to remove getFlash and Flash, which presumably took out aterm as well.

I guess double-checking dependencies is the best solution, unless there's a way of creating a .dep file of installed utility apps that would block the app delete function from removing them.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
Hi thane
... unless there's a way of creating a .dep file of installed utility apps that would block the app delete function from removing them.
You would still need to check the list of dependencies being removed. Say you install an extension that nothing else in your
system depends on. Then you install something that depends on that extension. You have the same situation. Many years
ago under TC3 or TC4 I installed some command line program. I then decided to try a GUI front end for it and installed that.
I didn't care for the GUI so I uninstalled that which also uninstalled the command line program because nothing else depended
on it.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »
Yes, I agree the issue is a result of aterm.tcz being a dependency of getFlash and not being in any other .dep file that would prevent it from being deleted. I used the app delete function to remove getFlash and Flash, which presumably took out aterm as well.

I guess double-checking dependencies is the best solution, unless there's a way of creating a .dep file of installed utility apps that would block the app delete function from removing them.
Hello Thane,   When using any official methods to delete extensions like; "APPS > Maintenance > Dependencies and Deletions" or "tce-audit delete /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/getFlash.tcz" these tools create a file "/tmp/audit_marked.lst" which lists all extensions marked for deletion such as dependencies.   If I ever delete extensions, I make it a habit of always checking this list before shutdown/reboot  to remove any extensions from this list I'd prefer to keep.
:)