WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Pi zero w - FT245RL can't send or receive data.  (Read 1302 times)

Offline jtn0514

Pi zero w - FT245RL can't send or receive data.
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »
Hey everyone. I've been searching around and managed to figure out loading the usb-serial extension with the following

tce-load -wli usb-serial-KERNEL

This works and dmesg shows the device is assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0 after power on of the device, however when attempting to echo ascii text to the device as such:
echo "hello" > /dev/ttyUSB0 It just hangs and eventually after 30 seconds returns back to the terminal. My guess is the write is being blocked?

The device is not bricked, it works fine on a raspberry pi 3 with Centos7 installed with nothing more and I have a 2nd device here with the same chip which works as well on the rpi3 with centos 7 just fine as well. It seems both just won't read/write on the pi zero w with the usb-serial extension installed and im running out of ideas.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Pi zero w - FT245RL can't send or receive data.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
What happens when you run the command as root?

Offline jtn0514

Re: Pi zero w - FT245RL can't send or receive data.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »
I ended up figuring it out. This was NOT a tiny core linux problem, but merely an oversight on my part after staring at the screen for too long :P  Taking a step back really does help every once and a while.

Anyhow for anyone else running into serial to usb issues, see my first post, that command does work for FTDI based chipsets and the device did show up as ttyUSB0.