WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New to Tiny Core  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: New to Tiny Core
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 04:15:24 AM »
You don't need to set a root password to use "sudo", but you can do so with "sudo passwd".

To run gparted, first read the info file and then "sudo gparted"

To get information on linux commands, google on "linux man page command_name".

To get information on tinycore commands see the wiki, book or search these forums.

Offline MikeFromPA

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
Allow me to preface this saying I really haven't used Linux since the first distro of Lindows was released, and haven't used the cli since DOS 6.2 and my Commodore Amiga days. So, long time for both.

I have found that Yumi doesn’t work as expected with TinyCore

However, the Option 2 guide using Rufus portable works great
Here
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb_stepbystep?&#option_2

Took me a day of searching the site to find this excellent post!  I tried Yumi, core2usb, isotousb, and a few others, including rufus.  Now that I know what to modify, boots into the gui.

NOW the problem is, when I install it onto the harddrive, it asks which folder to copy extensions from. Huh, that's a GREAT question! Where *are* the extensions located?  I download the newest core to install from the web, take the default suggestions for everything else.  I leave the extension box empty because I don't know what subdirectory to find them in.  I hit my install button, goes to the hd like a champ!

I then shutdown the system, remove the usb drive, power on, and am back at the tc$box.  :P

Offline Pats

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:08 AM »
Last post by MikeFromPA :
... I then shutdown the system, remove the usb drive, power on, and am back at the tc$box. 

The default folder where ext / packages are stored is /tce/optional .

... But better option is to read the book on TCL is :
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 02:31:20 AM »
As long as you have a wired connection you can download the extensions you need to get you to a gui on your hd install:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -wil Xvesa flwm wbar aterm
$ startx

Offline MikeFromPA

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »

The default folder where ext / packages are stored is /tce/optional .

... But better option is to read the book on TCL is :
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

I saw that on the usb drive.  When I went to install it on the sda1, I put that in the install program, and it returned the message usb drive could not be initialized.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
Hi MikeFromPA
... NOW the problem is, when I install it onto the harddrive, it asks which folder to copy extensions from. ...
That would be the  cde  directory of the ISO.

Offline Pats

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
...and it returned the message usb drive could not be initialized.

Pl decide , if you want to install on HDD , USBdrive or prestine mode.
Pl read bootcodes , UUID , booting from USB or HDD , perstency , backup  etc  portion from wiki or the book , it may help if you are not aware abt it. :)

Also search on the forum itself for prvs post of the same subject.

Best Luck !

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 06:39:31 AM »
NOW the problem is, when I install it onto the harddrive, it asks which folder to copy extensions from. Huh, that's a GREAT question! Where *are* the extensions located?  I download the newest core to install from the web, take the default suggestions for everything else.  I leave the extension box empty because I don't know what subdirectory to find them in.

Installing to a HDD is the exactly same as installing to a USB drive. 

Depending on what OS you're used too, Linux will most likely feel totally alien which is how it felt for me in the beginning as i recall..

What you need to know about TinyCoreLinux is the root file system is created in memory into which all media (like Hard drives, USB drives and CD's) and everything else is copied to or is mounted. By convention the structure is:
/
|-- bin
|-- dev
|-- etc
|-- home
|-- init
|-- lib
|-- mnt
|-- opt
|-- proc
|-- root
|-- run
|-- sbin
|-- sys
|-- tmp
|-- usr
`-- var

"/mnt" is where you'll find temporarily mounted file systems from HDD's etc., etc.   
Therefore if you're trying to copy all extensions from a USB thumb drive "/mnt/sdb1/tce/optional" is where you'll likely find them.

To find where your tcz (extensions) are located, use the "find" command
sudo find / -iname "*tcz"

Offline MikeFromPA

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 07:27:19 AM »
Hi MikeFromPA
... NOW the problem is, when I install it onto the harddrive, it asks which folder to copy extensions from. ...
That would be the  cde  directory of the ISO.

OK, so according to the http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb_stepbystep?&#option_2 page, I changed the cde to tce, so I know what you're talking aboot.

I tried using the /optional folder on the usb boot drive, but as I went to install, I received a message saying the usb drive couldn't be initialized.

I only know (maybe) of 1 desktop Linux file manager, Komando (??) which I didn't find in the apps search, which I was hoping to use to manually copy files from the /optional folder onto my harddrive.

I guess after being this long winded, the question I have is how do I get the desktop to load automagically after I install tinycore to the hard drive. If it were DOS, there would be an autoexec.bat file that would do the trick as far as scripting.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
Hi MikeFromPA
I tried using the /optional folder on the usb boot drive, but as I went to install, I received a message saying the usb drive couldn't be initialized.
You went too deep. Point it to the  cde  (or tce if you renamed it) directory.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »
Ok MikeFromPA,

After finding the path to your current USB installation, it's simply a matter of copying the entire USB/tce directory to the HDD

Assuming the path to your USB tce directory is "/mnt/sdb1/tce"  and
path to HDD partition 1 is /mnt/sda1
then use "cp" command to copy tce directory and all it's contents from USB install to the HDD partition of the new installation. 

This is just an example, always, always, always verify the path of both source and destination
Make sure both source and destination drive/partitions are mounted
mount /dev/sda1
sudo cp -a /mnt/sdb1/tce /mnt/sda1

The operation might be safer if you created a tce directory on the HDD then copy the entire contents of the USB tce directory (or as Rich suggested the contents of the ISO cde directory).to the newly created HDD tce directory.
mount /dev/sda1
sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/tce
sudo cp -a /mnt/sdb1/tce/* /mnt/sda1/tce

Remember:  always, always, always verify the path of both source and destination to prevent overwriting important data

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 07:54:59 AM »
I only know (maybe) of 1 desktop Linux file manager, Komando (??) which I didn't find in the apps search, which I was hoping to use to manually copy files from the /optional folder onto my harddrive.

You can use APPS / Tags to search for "File Manager" where I found 9 file managers in TC-9 x86 library
I obviously prefer "SpaceFM"  The best Tabbed file manager  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:59:48 AM by coreplayer2 »