WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore Boots to a DOS Prompt  (Read 20790 times)

Offline mikezuccaburg

Re: TinyCore Boots to a DOS Prompt
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »
I should be able to take a look at the CorePlus iso in 3-4 days time

The CorePlus iso file isolinux.cfg was corrupted - the iso has been reposted

This helped too.  Thanks Juanito!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
If I can run LibreOffice and Chrome on TinyCore, it'll be like Christmas.

There's a chromium-browser extension in the 64-bit repo - both repos have a libreoffice extension.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
SUCCESS!  I got TinyCore running with the instructions here:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb_stepbystep?&#option_2

With a caveat:  Although renaming the directory from "cde" to "tce" was necessary, steps 5 and 6 were totally unnecessary, with the exception of renaming each "cde" in the config file to "waitusb=5".  Admins and/or devs take note:  This guide needs to be updated.  Many of the options mentioned under Rufus do not exist anymore either (presumably this was written for a previous version of the software). 
The Step By Step guide was written from scratch last week to help folks boot TinyCore without issue.  Additionally, the Guide's "Option 2" is particularly easy to follow and references the very latest version of Rufus (v3.3p) Utility available since Sept. 17th 2018.   I presumed folks could follow the links to Rufus portable version as provided in Step 1?   A link to Rufus primary web site was also provided as a courtesy to
their team and for TinyCore folks to read more..

If you choose not to follow the steps then I've done all I can is, you're on your own...

Offline mikezuccaburg

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »
SUCCESS!  I got TinyCore running with the instructions here:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb_stepbystep?&#option_2

With a caveat:  Although renaming the directory from "cde" to "tce" was necessary, steps 5 and 6 were totally unnecessary, with the exception of renaming each "cde" in the config file to "waitusb=5".  Admins and/or devs take note:  This guide needs to be updated.  Many of the options mentioned under Rufus do not exist anymore either (presumably this was written for a previous version of the software). 
The Step By Step guide was written from scratch last week to help folks boot TinyCore without issue.  Additionally, the Guide's "Option 2" is particularly easy to follow and references the very latest version of Rufus (v3.3p) Utility available since Sept. 17th 2018.   I presumed folks could follow the links to Rufus portable version as provided in Step 1?   A link to Rufus primary web site was also provided as a courtesy to
their team and for TinyCore folks to read more..

If you choose not to follow the steps then I've done all I can is, you're on your own...

No offense intended!  I did follow the steps initially, but 5 and 6 made it boot to an error screen.  Renaming everything back to isolinux allowed TinyCore to launch.  I can't comment on the effectiveness of the Rufus part of the guide since the last time I tried Rufus was with the bad ISO, which obviously didn't work.

Offline coreplayer2

TinyCore Boots to a DOS Prompt
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
I can't comment on the effectiveness of the Rufus part of the guide since the last time I tried Rufus was with the bad ISO, which obviously didn't work.
The most important thing when using Rufus is NOT to use an ISO. 
Instead you simply select to install the boot loader “syslinux 4.07” from the menu... then every step will work as explained

[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
Let me help with a picture of Rufus (Portable) which speaks a thousand words!

Offline mikezuccaburg

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »

I mis-spoke.  I totally did use Rufus since I used that guide.  I got the regular version, not the portable one, which is maybe why I don't have some of those options.

Offline mikezuccaburg

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »

coreplayer2, how do I add syslinux 4.07 to Rufus' drop down menu?  I have tried both the normal and portable versions.

Offline coreplayer2

TinyCore Boots to a DOS Prompt
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »

coreplayer2, how do I add syslinux 4.07 to Rufus' drop down menu?  I have tried both the normal and portable versions.
You don’t add, Use the portable version, second Item down “boot selection”  you simply scroll down the list and select it
Be sure to select syslinux 4.07 from the list, not syslinux 6.x   
:)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:34:37 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline mikezuccaburg

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »

You don’t add, Use the portable version, second Item down “boot selection”  you simply scroll down the list and select it
Be sure to select syslinux 4.07 from the list, not syslinux 6.x   
:)

Hmm, odd, that doesn't appear for me at all.  Are you running it in Windows?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »
Ok then looks like I'll have to add this step form Option 1 to download syslinux 4.07.zip  from https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/  to your system

I think if you simply download the archive to the same directory as rufus  the app should find it (if that fails then extract the archive and delete rufus.ini file before running rufus again
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:40:47 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »

Hi mikezuccaburg,  Looks like rufus is unable to download the files it needs from it's home server.  So i suggest using Option 1 method from http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_usb_stepbystep  in the meantime

Offline reg

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
Howdy!  I too am new but enjoying tinycore. 

I have had no problems creating bootable USB sicks from my Win 7 both with just the tinycore ISO and Rufus. 

There is almost no difference between the portable and the non portable.  The portable recalls it's previous settings if you use it on a lot of computes. 

All of my devices boot just fine and dandy with the rufus defaults.  Select the USB stick, select the ISO and click the start button.  Accept any defaults it asks you about after that. 

I have not had to copy or rename any files manually. 

I use tinycore-current  and it starts with the GUI desktop.  From there I can run the software installer and get the gui flavor of tc-install, which also happens to depend on the command line version, so if you pick the gui flavor you get them both.  I have found the cloud install to be less typing but I have had success installing both from the cloud and the running system. 

Getting the OS onto the hard disk and booting to the command line is easy.  I have completed a couple long term projects with tinycore frugal and I am really very happy with it.  Small, and fast.

That being said, I have had no luck getting anything like X going on it.  I would like to install the desktop that comes with tinycore-current.

I have tried pointing tc-install at optional stuff from the USB stick in the last step when it asks aout optional stuff.  I have never had that work.  I have tried copying the contents of the USB over to the hdd after the install, and never had that work. 

Can someone please give me a quick synopsis of what you need to do to install the GUI from the tinycore-current iso on a frugal install? 

And, as an aside, it would be cool to have the installer give you the option of the GUI like the tinycore-current has, or the frugal version like core-current.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
tc-install is the tool to install tinycore

If you want to add additional software to tinycore, you need the tce-load tool.

In 32-bit tinycore you have three options for X - Xvesa, Xorg-7.7 and Xfbdev

To download a simple desktop environment, load and start it:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -w Xvesa flwm wbar aterm
$ tce-load -i Xvesa flwm wbar aterm
$ startx

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 06:11:08 AM »
Hi reg
... That being said, I have had no luck getting anything like X going on it.  I would like to install the desktop that comes with tinycore-current.

I have tried pointing tc-install at optional stuff from the USB stick in the last step when it asks aout optional stuff. ...
If you are referring to the step with the  Boot Options Reference List  that's the wrong place. The step after that titled
Extension Installation  is what you want. Click on the text field under  Install Extensions from this TCE/CDE Directory  and navigate
to your USB sticks  CDE  directory. The text field should end up looking similar to this:
Code: [Select]
/mnt/sdb1/cdeDepending on the number of drives in your system, your USB stick may show up as a different device and not  sdb1.