WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Not possible installing  (Read 3293 times)

Offline jopema

Not possible installing
« on: October 07, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Hej.
I have tried the live TCL coreplus for a while and Iam impressed. I want to install TCL to a usb but for some reason just not possible. Tried three different usb that all works with slitaz, pups and ubuntu but when trying to install TCL the installer hangs. I have tried frugal, USB as hdd and all different versions. When running sudo tc-install in terminal it writes "failed mount usb" when starting format and I can see the intended usb drive flash briefly in the mount tool (sdc1 goes green and back to red). The usb drives are in working order, clean formatted in mint 18.04 to ext2, ext4 and fat. No problem mounting and reading drive in TCL before install and it looks unmounted in mount-tool (red), drive is not displayed as mounted drive in system stats before I start the TC-installer. Downloaded coreplus iso twice but same result. Im thinking of going back to coreplus 8.2 and test. 
What am I doing wrong ?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Not possible installing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
Hi jopema
Did to try it without using  sudo ?

Offline coreplayer2

Not possible installing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »
hello jopema

I just installed using  tc-install-GUI.tcz  which worked as expected. 

My only feedback is I did notice that Extlinux.cfg had two waitusb entries, but still booted.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:10:26 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »
OK..   Here's the deal:

If you're running the GUI mode installer from tc-install-GUI extension then the gui launches and functions normally when selected from the desktop menu, the wbar icon, or if you launch the GUI mode from the command line, using:
Code: [Select]
tc-install
If you're running the command line version directly with either tc-install or tc-install-GUI extension's installed, then run this command for the command-line version
sudo tc-install.sh
:)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:12:25 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline jopema

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
Hej.
Iam using the GUI installer. When GUI installer is launched from terminal I get the extra information there is an issue with mount.

Offline jopema

*SOLVED* Re: Not possible installing
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 02:25:37 AM »
Hej.

Problem solved =0)
Your answers got me thinking so I downloaded old version TCL coreplus 8.2 and tc-install works perfect without a glitch.

Please mark this thread solved if I dont find how to do it.

Thank you for the help, it may not look like it helped but the answers pointed me to there must be another issue, and no, I dont expect everyone knowing everything, softwares are complicated and big, lots of parameters keeping in mind, Im happy it works as good as it does.

I struck new problems with grub2, it is not writing the grub.cfg file under /boot/ at install, will make new posting at correct forum area.

Kindly Peter.

*edit : I have realized I posted this topic at wrong section as I misunderstood "base" after getting to know the thinking of TCL. My apologies, please move thread if required as Iam not able finding how to do it *
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:29:36 AM by jopema »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 05:41:25 AM »
Are you saying that when you use the correct command there is still a permissions issue?

The correct method to launch tc-install GUI is
1. launch from tc-install icon on wbar
2. launch from desktop menu item
3. launch from command line:
tc-install

Offline jopema

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »
Hej.
Yes. In ver 9.0 I tried all your listed options 1,2,3 with result installer hangs and have to be killed with killx.
When running sudo tc-install in terminal I got the extra information usb flash could not be mounted but the gui mount tool shows it flashes green-red during install. Of course I have checked usb ok by mounting and then access with emelfm and then unmount back again before install with the gui-mount tool in control panel. Usb flash drive looks well formatted as emelfm shows it is empty after complete FAT  formatting in windows (no tce/cde folders remaining). I notice you all prefer ext2 but I need working files accessible from windows when I forget copying files across hence the fat.

When using coreplus ver 8.2 as live usb no problems installing with gui install to usb beside the usb running live coreplus, everything installed perfect and now Im wrestling with grub2.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 06:19:11 AM »
I think you may be causing your problems, the Linux O/S needs to run on a Linux file system, if you want access via another O/S create a partition for it to share with Linux. :)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline jopema

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:00:18 AM »
"I think you may be causing your problems, the Linux O/S needs to run on a Linux file system, if you want access via another O/S create a partition for it to share with Linux. :)"

I have not come that far yet, right now Im stuck on creating the possibility of causing my own problems =0)

If to be serious, are you suggesting there might be a issue using vfat format in TCL ? As it is a viable option in the install I assumed it would work. I have as of yet not been able getting a working install and therefore I have not yet messed with the TCL install from any other OS. I usually have my own"user-folder" in the root of file tree where it is easily overviewed, backed up and crypted instead of letting the OS hiding my files wherever it likes to deep down in OS-specific file structures.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
Hej.
Yes. In ver 9.0 I tried all your listed options 1,2,3 with result installer hangs and have to be killed with killx.
When running sudo tc-install in terminal I got the extra information usb flash could not be mounted but the gui mount tool shows it flashes green-

Please....  We've said many times already Do Not Use "sudo tc-install" in terminal to launch the tc-install in GUI mode.

Why do you continue to use "sudo"  when the install GUI app can mange permissions as and when needed

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:21:27 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 07:51:21 AM »
Hi jopema
You probably should not have the  MountTool  app running during the install.
... I can see the intended usb drive flash briefly in the mount tool ...
The mount tool is only meant to show the status of drives it mounts and unmounts. The  flash briefly  behavior you
observed is likely related to this issue somehow:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21944.msg138908.html#msg138908

[EDIT]: Spelling.  Rich
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:10:15 PM by Rich »

Offline jopema

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
If you had read my post you had realised I first tried GUI-installer, when that didnt work I ran the installer from terminal.
Im sorry I dont know Im always root in TCL, now I know, SUDO was used by old habit.

If you had read my post you had realised I first tried GUI-installer, when that didnt work I ran the installer from terminal.
Im sorry I dont know Im always root in TCL, now I know, SUDO was used by old habit.

I have now repeated same message three times plus conveying same information in four postinfgs above, perhaps it is clear now ? I have also apologized for using sudo three times, Iam very sorry I did not know Iam always root in TCL as root user is used with extreme caution in other dists.

Am I now forgiven or do I have to kill and sacrifice someone to make you all happy again ?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
LOL  I'm sure we can sacrifice some beer!!

Im sorry I dont know Im always root in TCL, now I know,
What makes you think that??  Because tc does not run as root, you are logged in as tc user BTW

:)