WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Fluxbox slow startup (~15 seconds)  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Fluxbox slow startup (~15 seconds)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 06:10:06 AM »
Hi hobophil
Seems like a clue, is your system trying to run two WMs(?), did you check?
No I'm not, but I agree this is weird. ...
Yes you were.

You stated:
Entering "fluxbox -log ~fluxdir/log" into terminal from GUI desktop:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~/.fluxbox$ fluxbox -log ~fluxdir/log
Warning: Failed to open file(/usr/local/share/fluxbox/nls/C/fluxbox.cat)
for translation, using default messages.
Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 27): OnWindowBorder Move1 :StartMoving
Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 30): OnLeftGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomleft
Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 31): OnRightGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomright
BScreen::BScreen: an error occured while querying the X server.
        another window manager already running on display :0.0
Error: Couldn't find screens to manage.
Make sure you don't have another window manager running.
That   terminal from GUI desktop  you tried to start  fluxbox  from was provided by the other WM that was running.

Offline hobophil

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
Well, for now I'm just sticking with flwm_topside. It's way faster for whatever reason. Thanks for the replies anyways.

Offline coreplayer2

Fluxbox slow startup (~15 seconds)
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
Maybe you should try isolating the real cause of your system issues.  Since I can’t reproduce this slow performance, I suggest temporarily restore a default onboot.lst  from the ISO
Then edit the onboot.lst to remove flwm and replace with fluxbox   You don’t need VLC etc etc as the test is only temporary.

Ensure you’re extensions are installed on the fastest available storage media and you’re system is actually loading them..?
sda1 ? Really is tc installed on the first partition of your HDD?

Make sure no other installation like CD, USB DRIVE is influencing the outcome, remove them!

Use UUID instead of sda identifier (sdx is not  permanent, it can change)

It looks to me as if Xorg + Radeon drivers are causing many loading issues, if that’s not the cause then maybe the media where fluxbox.tcz is loaded from is extremely slow? 

Tinycore can load extensions from any media separate from its core files, the first tcz store found (wherever that is) is usually used unless clearly specified

Your “showbootcodes”
BOOT_IMAGE=/tce/boot/vmlinuz quiet nodhcp tce=sda1/tce home=sda1 initrd=/tce/boot/core.gzI could be wrong but AIUI Indicates an invalid tce entry
tce=sda1/tce is like asking tc to look inside tce=sda1/tce/tce for your extensions and when it can’t find any looks to other drives like a CD for potential tce directories..  Which explains slow loading issues..
Anyhow a valid tce boot code in your scenario  is
tce=sda1Without specifying tce unless you’ve changed its name..

I’m simply pointing out the obvious causes here since fluxbox itself installs in a second or two at worst in all my tests and those tests were all from a USB thumb drive!!   doesn’t matter if first time install and loading either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:05:10 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
Also...

While this method seems a little extreme for troubleshooting this simple slow boot issue, you could always experiment with this:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:bootchart

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
Also..

Another troubleshooting step you can try since we're only concerned with the install time from a mounted extension is a selective copy2fs;  installing fluxbox.tcz & dependencies to the file system before X attempts to run it.

Navigate to your tce directory and add fluxbox.tcz to copy2fs.lst  (if the file exists, also remove flwm_topside.tcz or any other WM's)
Or if copy2fs.lst does not exist:
echo fluxbox.tcz > /mnt/sda1/tce/copy2fs.lst
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:05:47 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline hobophil

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Ok, I experimented per above and what worked was re-imaging a Core Plus to the existing partition. I verified that Fluxbox started within about 2 seconds.

I then tried making a persistent home. The home folder was still on the hard drive from before. This resulted in slow startup again. Therefore I think something related to a setup file in the home folder or the persistence is/was slowing down Fluxbox.

Reimaged again. I got used to using flwm_topside though...so kind of a moot point now. Thanks to everyone, again.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:14:58 PM by hobophil »