WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: integrate extension into filesystem ?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline halma

integrate extension into filesystem ?
« on: September 21, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
Hi,
i am asking myself if it possible to ingrate all needed extensions(incl. dep's) of my needs in the filesystem "core.gz" (like Picore 9.x) to skip the extension loading on boot, may it can accelerate the bootprocess ?
1 + 2 = 6  cause  10 - 6 = 78 ;-) lol

Offline Misalf

Re: integrate extension into filesystem ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
No/Yes.

If you pack all the stuff you need into the initrd (core.gz), the boot loader has to handle it. Depending on the size of the resulting initrd, it might fail/succeed to boot depending on size, which boot loader and/or hardware is used.
I learned that a >100MB initrd works on some systems but not on all. For older systems and simpler boot loaders it's a miss most of the time.
There is a benefit in putting stuff into the initrd but I wasn't able to find a sweet spot. And I prolly won't continue searching.
The compromise I found most reliable was to merge OnBoot-extensions into one big bloated extension. Less duplicated work and way less mounts but more user intervention required in case of updates.

Script posted here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20709.msg129945.html#msg129945
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »
I only put what I need immediately 'on boot', others I put 'on demand', that may help in your situation
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »
Hi halma
Hi,
i am asking myself if it possible to ingrate all needed extensions(incl. dep's) of my needs in the filesystem "core.gz" (like Picore 9.x) to skip the extension loading on boot, may it can accelerate the bootprocess ?
That does not skip extension loading. It just changes the manner in which they are loaded. Instead of mounting extensions and
symlinking the contents into the RAM file system, you will wind up copying the entire contents of the extension into RAM file system.
So now your extensions will all be using up RAM regardless of whether the programs they contain are running or not.