WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can I use Anbox on TinyCore 9.0 ???  (Read 2993 times)

Offline julcar

Can I use Anbox on TinyCore 9.0 ???
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »
I have this issue:

I want to use whatsapp without any smartphone, as I need to run it from inside a virtual machine on a desktop pc host. I tried before installing android x86 but never could get boot it at least, so, I found Anbox which is an Android container inside a Linux Kernel, that can run and execute .apk files, just what I need. The problem was that they only support Ubuntu, and some other people said that is possible install it on Debian, but for my case, both distros are weighter for my virtual machines, so this option was useless too (I've spent a lot of days trying to get it work without success)

The last option I have is executing Anbox on TinyCore, as it is very light and works well on my virtual machines, I thought there are some possibilities of success.

But before spending other six days on this, I want to ask the community if I am right or wrong, take in mind that at this moment I have more experience with tinycore than any other linux distro, so I can learn everything I could need along the process.

Thanks buds.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Can I use Anbox on TinyCore 9.0 ???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:32:20 PM »
I have this issue:

I want to use whatsapp without any smartphone.
Unfortunately running WhatsApp on a PC of any OS is not possible without a smartphone and WhatsApp simultaneously running on it.

Initially WhatsApp requires a cellphone with a cellular service to activate
Thereafter a continuous connection to that same smartphone with WhatsApp running is required to continue using WhatsApp for PC version

Sorry [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline julcar

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »
I have this issue:

I want to use whatsapp without any smartphone.
Unfortunately running WhatsApp on a PC of any OS is not possible without a smartphone and WhatsApp simultaneously running on it.

Initially WhatsApp requires a cellphone with a cellular service to activate
Thereafter a continuous connection to that same smartphone with WhatsApp running is required to continue using WhatsApp for PC version

Sorry [emoji52]

Anbox can create a complete android environment to run .apk files just like an android phone

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 05:22:24 AM »
The Anbox page says
Installing Anbox on a regular Linux system is easy and plain simple as long as your system supports snaps (see snapcraft.io for more information).
Apart from what coreplayer2 said about cellular service requirement, I'm not sure it would be so straightforward to get snaps working on TinyCore as it's not "a regular Linux system".
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:57:32 AM »

Anbox can create a complete android environment to run .apk files just like an android phone
You’ll need an active cellular service (with phone number) to register WhatsApp

Offline julcar

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »

You’ll need an active cellular service (with phone number) to register WhatsApp

Of course, I have a phone number (I still have a phone from the nokia 1100's era) and it is in fact registered in whatsapp with a tablet, but that tablet died.

Aside these questions, I would like to know if TinyCore can manage anbox

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
I don't recollect anyone mentioning "anbox" before so can't say if it's possible to load.

Try it I guess..

But since you know a phone is necessary to connect with WhatsApp why not simply open a browser like Firefox and navigate to https://web.whatsapp.com/  then sync with the phone??  Thereby saving you're self all the trouble and overhead of running two virtual machines one inside the other, which is in essence what you're attempting to accomplish.