WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Move Coreplus from Flash drive to HDD  (Read 3929 times)

Offline bushyiii

Move Coreplus from Flash drive to HDD
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
I have Coreplus configured the way I want it and would like to have it running directly from the HDD on an old IBM T43 laptop.  Is there a recommended way to do this.  The HDD has several other Linux OS on it but I no longer need them on it.  Coreplus would be the only OS.

Offline Misalf

Re: Move Coreplus from Flash drive to HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:12:31 AM »
I guess the recommended way would be to use the installer from a freshly burned CD and copy over any modifications later. Just in case one is not so savvy with installing it manually.

However, I only used the installer when TinyCore was new to me.
Now I just copy my  /tce  directory to a target PC and create a boot loader entry. While you already have several other Linux OSes installed, you don't even need to install a boot loader. I would also simply delete the other OSes if they are on the target partition to reduce file fragmentation. Keep the boot loader files though.

Edit: BTW, I always put the Kernel and initrd in a sub directory of /tce (/tce/boot/vmlinuz) to keep things together.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:15:28 AM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
First, having Core set up (which sounds like you have a desktop, extensions, etc.) works on THAT computer, but we'll want to make sure the IBM doesn't have some kind of hardware that your "setup" doesn't bring with it.

1. Install CorePlus onto the IBM using the CD or USB method (IF the unit even supports USB booting!?)
2. If you're using the DEFAULT desktop/etc. (Xvesa versus Xorg; if you're not sure - it'll likely be the former) and the graphics, sound, etc. all seem to be working on the IBM, you're in good shape!
(If not, look up the computer's specs via Google and see what hardware it has versus what hardware driver(s) you might need to add to the IBM.)
3. Once the machine's ready HARDWARE wise, the rest is a piece of cake!

FIRST:
On the OLD machine, write (or print out) the contents from /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst - this is the list of extensions your old machine has installed on it.
On the IBM, install those same extensions either via the desktop application or command-line's tce-load function

NEXT:
There are two methods which people generally set up Core; by PERSISTENT directories or by the BACKUP method (using "backup" or "filetool.sh" to save changes to things you've done.)
  • If you're using persistent directories, you simply tell the IBM to use persistence, too, then copy your old OPT, HOME and/or TCE directories from the other machine to the IBM (See the note below for the TCE portion.)
  • If you're using the backup method, you can find your backup file in /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/mydata.tgz; copy this file from the old machine to the IBM and you're in business!

SAFETY:
  • When installing Core onto the IBM, feel free to wipe the entire drive IF you're certain nothing else already on it is vital.
  • Using a USB pen or similar, copy the files and/or directories from the old machine onto the new - KEEP this information on the device even after you're done JUST IN CASE something was overlooked.
NOTE: If your first install was CorePlus 64bit and your IBM can only handle 32bit (for example only, I didn't look up the computer's capabilities) you may run into a few bumps in the road; post back here and someone's likely to lend a hand!  (64 bit applications cannot run on a 32 bit machine, etc.)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »
First thanks for the replies and the suggestions.
Coreplus is successfully running on my old 32bit IBM T43 Thinkpad laptop as a full HDD install with 2 gig of ram.

There are a couple of minor annoyances:
1) On reboot sometimes my desktop background is blue and other times it is black.  Would like to keep it Blue.
2) Wifi sources are only discovered on the second attempt.  First attempt does not see anything, click the wifi icon a second time finds all the sources.

Others than that its great! 

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »
Wifi sources are only discovered on the second attempt.

You're lucky, mine often takes 4 or 5 attempts - & I'm sitting about 6ft away from my router! :)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
I always click the wifi icon twice in immediate succession and it's always the second terminal that lists all the source, the first terminal finds nothing.

Interestingly there was a couple of days that it took 4 or 5 open terminals before the sources were found and then it stopped happening.  That makes no sense to me as to how something in software can be inconsistent.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
HGi bushyiii
I always click the wifi icon twice in immediate succession and it's always the second terminal that lists all the source, the first terminal finds nothing. ...
The icons are not meant to be double-clicked. Doing so launches 2 instances of the application in quick succession possibly
causing one instance to interfere with the other.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
I appreciate your reply, you are correct, if I do it as a double click it does screw up but it's not a double click, it just two click in quick succession and it has always worked for me.  I have experimented waiting for the first window to populate with text and while it is still blank, no difference, the second terminal window populates with all the wifi sources and executes my choice correctly.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
This appears to be a common problem.   I have found in the past that changing Wifi driver, compiling an updated driver resolved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk