General TC > General TC Talk

Is TinyCore what I am looking for?

(1/1)

Student2018:
Before downloading, installing and lots of frustration discovering TC is not what I am looking for, I'd thought I'll ask if TC is what I am looking for first, and where better to look for an answer than this forum.

I am in my 30's and going back to school again to re-educate myself in the ICT field. My goal is to become a data analyst. According to one of the edX courses I was following in my spare time, Linux knowledge is a skill any good data analyst should have.

I'm guessing your first thought is, go to Ububtu or Suse. However one of the things I think (never used it before) I like about some Linux distributions is that they are not cluttered with software others would like you to use. Next to that I would like to have a version where I can learn working with a terminal instead of feeling the temptation of using an IDE. What also might be a good thing to know is that I never used any Linux OS before.

I would like to know first if some of my assumptions about TinyCore are correct and I can use it for my goals:

* Learning the Linux command line.
* R, Python and Java development.
* A bit of messing around with databases.Next to that I have a few questions:

* Is it difficult to get internet working on TinyCore out of the box?
* As you might have noticed, I plan on doing some development on the machine as well. Is it a complex process making sure these applications do not have to be reinstalled at every boot?
* The laptop I would like to start out on has a different keyboard lay-out, how much of a hassle is it to get this to work correctly?

core-user:
Whilst I really like TC, it wouldn't be my suggestion for a first timer, especially as you would be better off with a standard version of Linux for what you are planning to do.

I'd suggest you take a look at Debian or RedHat (use Centos, the free version), possibly SuSE.
These are the standard distros used in industry.
Debian would be my choice, (even though I personally don't like systemd).

DHeadshot:
The PC variant of Raspbian Pixel is easier for beginners and fairly uncluttered.  I'd recommend that.

Nathan_SR:
Hi Student2018,

Looking at your specific needs, I second core-user's opinions, with some additions :

1. Take a look at Xebian ( https://xebian.org/ ). It offers both a Live as well as Install mode, so that you can test it thoroughly on VirtualBox ( without saving changes on the Live mode, but able to do so on the Install mode, just like any other OS )
2. It is based on Debian SID, which means you get the latest version of your preferred softwares
3. It is lightweight as well as fast to startup
4. I was doing some python gui development on Ubuntu, till I discovered, that I have to test my apps, on the recent python versions as well, for compatibility sake, which lead me to xebian. Xebian helped me to un-cover a couple of deprecated python warnings, when I started the GUI from the terminal.
5. On Xebian, first install the Synaptic Package Manager, as follows :

Open a terminal and then type in the following commands (one line at a time and press enter key)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo synaptic

This package manager will help you to quickly search through over 50,000 software packages, to install whatever is necessary for you.
Also, keep repeating the following steps, from time to time, to know if there are upgrades to your softwares :

sudo apt-get update
sudo synaptic

Hope this helps.

P.S. By the way, in future, if you are in need of a small sized appliance, for the deployment of your developed application, then welcome back to Tiny Core. It is just too good for such purposes, with just a little learning curve ( wouldn't call it a frustation, though ). A nice example of this is here :  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/files/VirtualBox%20Appliances/

Regards,

Nathan SR

mocore:

--- Quote from: Student2018 on September 03, 2018, 01:17:02 AM ---Before downloading, installing and lots of frustration discovering ...

--- End quote ---

installation  O.O
just burn some "Live_CD"s .iso and boot that! or use a 'virtual machine' to boot/test a / the live cd
no installation required!!
see also : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

--- Quote from: Student2018 on September 03, 2018, 01:17:02 AM --- I have a few questions:

--- End quote ---
8)

--- Quote from: Student2018 on September 03, 2018, 01:17:02 AM ---Is it difficult to get internet working on TinyCore out of the box?

--- End quote ---

if you need wireless try burning/booting CorePlus-9.0.iso as i think? this includes some wireless firmware
 afaik wired just works

--- Quote from: Student2018 on September 03, 2018, 01:17:02 AM ---Is it a complex process making sure these applications do not have to be reinstalled at every boot?

--- End quote ---

that probably depends on your definition of `complex process`  !...

have a look at this http://tinycorelinux.net/arch_core.html "diagram of the Tiny Core file architecture."
  and the "core book" http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version