WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Need help with rtl8723bu  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Scorp1us

Need help with rtl8723bu
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
So I last used TCL about 8 years ago... It went well but I'm having issues now. I'm on new hardware and I'm as confused as ever.

First, I'll OnBoot a package, but it won't actually be available on boot. I'll set it to Download & Load, and change it back to OnBoot but it ever makes it into the boot list.

Anyway, the real issue I'm having is with an Edimax rtl8723bu wifi. I see it's supported in the bug rtl wifi firmware package, but it won't boot. While trying to fix it, I downloaded the source compiled and eventually the driver loaded, but I don't know why I have to do that (or to make it stable across reboots). So I'd like to use the built-in module, but there;s no 8723bu module, but there is the firmware, so there has to be a .ko, right? Also even with the driver loaded it did not give me a wlan0 interface.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help. Last time I was plugged in, this computer for the time is plugged in, but it's got to run on the Wifi. Please advise.

Offline Scorp1us

Re: Need help with rtl8723bu
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »
I did see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=19106.0

But it did not work for me. It seems that is pi-specific. I'm looking for rtl8723bu in the normal (64bit) tinycore distro.

UPDATE:
Ok, so assuming it doesn't yet exist, i compiled the git repo, and installed and "modprobe 8723bu.ko" ran wicd, and it got it to connect. But what do I do to have it keep the kernel modules and load them and connect to wifi on every boot?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:22:19 PM by Scorp1us »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »
Create an extension and add it to onboot.lst to restate on reboot
Guide here
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aus9

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
as that seems to be a lwfinger git
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bu

you may like to cheat off my build script with some modifications
http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86_64/tcz/src/8188/build-8188eu.sh

Naturally your download will differ and your kernel module appears to be 8723bu?

I submitted that and deliberately did not have dbus and wicd daemons start in the install script as there is umm a general rule not to have auto daemons start by Official Tinycore packages. As you appear to want to build a private package to auto mate all I would suggest you add some lines to your install script.

so in that section of the build script change it to read....YMMV

cat >> $P/usr/local/tce.installed/$P <<'EOF'
#!/bin/sh
depmod -a
udevadm trigger
sleep 3
modprobe 8188bu
[ -f /var/run/dbus/pid ] || /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start
[ -f /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid ] || /usr/local/etc/init.d/wicd start
EOF

Now I am not sure if a git master will work but as the last change was 9 months ago, I am hoping it was. Otherwise will need to modify to use  git clone as the download command

I can attempt to build it if you are struggling. I think our TCE submitter checker would prefer you submit it to help others.....but no-one is forcing you to.  Let me know your thoughts. (I am not a real coder so still learning)

coreplayer2 created linux-kernel-sources-env.....which without it....would have made my life more difficult

wicd has a running dependency of dbus and when you read wicd info file you will see the maintainer has not automated the daemons starting.

so if you submit, remove the daemon start commands from your install script and mention them in your info. But re-build for your private use to automate it at your discretion

FWIW I have changed my install script line to now read
cat << EOF >> $P/usr/local/tce.installed/$P after cheating off someone else
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:33:39 PM by aus9 »

Offline Scorp1us

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
Truly excellent! Thank you!

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 07:28:23 AM »
I submitted that and deliberately did not have dbus and wicd daemons start in the install script as there is umm a general rule not to have auto daemons start by Official Tinycore packages. As you appear to want to build a private package to auto mate all I would suggest you add some lines to your install script.

so in that section of the build script change it to read....YMMV

cat >> $P/usr/local/tce.installed/$P <<'EOF'
#!/bin/sh
depmod -a
udevadm trigger
sleep 3
modprobe 8188bu
[ -f /var/run/dbus/pid ] || /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start
[ -f /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid ] || /usr/local/etc/init.d/wicd start
EOF
Because we seem to have gone to great lengths to show this install script, a new TCL user might get the impression that it’s needed and might not work if not added.  In reality a module tce.installed  script is not necessary, in fact the module extension shouldn’t have one afaik..
If installed correctly the driver will be found and used.

I’ve used wifi.tcz for years and never used wicd so have no idea how it works, but I don’t think “wicd start” should be run from a module startup script!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:50:31 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
BTW.

The firmware file "rtl8723b_fw.bin" required by this driver is not provided in any tinycore extensions but is available from the driver sources

aus9

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »
Hi

What a member does for a private TCZ is their business. All I was trying to do, in mention that they can not submit it with daemon start if they would like their package in the repository.

I am a GUI person so love wicd. If the member tests and prefers to run wifi.sh then good luck to them and that will save them loading wicd.

2) My build script details why I built the module in a certain pathway and why I found I had to put the firmware in a certain pathway. As the member has already got his wifi working maybe he can confirm if he put his firmware in the normal pathway or chose a different pathway.

To save you re-reading my build script here is the section I am alluding to
# TCZ
#####
# https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
# prefers modules_install to go to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra
# conflicts with pathway as showing in internal file= dkms.conf
# which I believe is a debian style file
# Makefile wants diff pathway for fw
# initially I built it to usr loc but got the following msg
# r8188eu 1-10.3:1.0: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin failed with error -2

3) so as a result of my module tainting the TC kernel.....I assumed I needed to modprobe etc.

I won't waste any more time defending myself as that may scare the member from submitting?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:44:13 AM »
2) My build script details why I built the module in a certain pathway and why I found I had to put the firmware in a certain pathway. As the member has already got his wifi working maybe he can confirm if he put his firmware in the normal pathway or chose a different pathway.
# TCZ
#####
# https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt
# prefers modules_install to go to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra
AIUI as long as the module is within /usr/local/lib/modules/4.14.10-tinycore/ it will be found
therefore creating a Relatek wireless driver extension with this path seems appropriate if there's no conflict
Code: [Select]
/usr/local/lib/modules/4.14.10-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8723bu

# Makefile wants diff pathway for fw
# initially I built it to usr loc but got the following msg
# r8188eu 1-10.3:1.0: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin failed with error -2
This is not an error, the message is only advisory in nature,  I'm positive the firmware was found as the search continued.
This path will be fine
Code: [Select]
/usr/local/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723b_fw.bin
3) so as a result of my module tainting the TC kernel.....I assumed I needed to modprobe etc.
modprobe not required, all out of tree modules will taint the kernel..  Just something we have to live with until source and support is provided

My two cent's:  We're not perfect, nobody is, but If we're going to assist let's at least try to get the advice correct & consistent.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:41:47 AM by Rich »

aus9

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »
coreplayer2

Thanks for the info. I may have mislead. And sorry if you disagree.

I normally use TC with ethernet. I only bought my junky wifi dongle to test something. So for me, and not for the Original Poster, I needed wicd to swap from eth to wlan0 and also IMHO load the module because I chose not to have any wifi module in any boot list. FWIW wicd is really easy to use, so easy even an ex-windows user like myself can use it ;)

I hope the OP can take your suggestions and as they appear to need wifi all the time, not need any modprobe if they use the TC pathway etc etc......so they of course will have their private or public TCZ in their boot list.

cheers